DUI TLS-350 Lifespan: when to pull the plug?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danseur

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So, after a year in storage I pull out my Dry Suit and the zipper seems to have melted/frayed a bit, likely the end of it's useful life.

This is the probably 3rd Zipper, maybe 4th. New in 2007. +1000 dives. Small leaks now an ever present issue. New wrist and neck zip rings installed not long ago.

At what point does one thumb the dive for the suit? Fully pimped out, but another $400 zipper when this last one lasted +/-75 dives? First one made it +500. Second one maybe 350-400. Is it the material it attaches to that's disintegrating being 12yrs old? Is this the fabled "delamination" issue?

I have a backup suit. Needs pockets, pee valve, and some kind of ring system to be a functional equivalent.

Thoughts, and your experience?

75 dives? Where and how are you storing your suit? Could have been a bad one for the get go.
When they are replaced is the shop telling you where the problem was?
I'd suggest sending it to Gambles in Florida (352) 379-0653 for an evaluation.

This time I stored it hanging from the feet in my garage. There may have been a "steam" event from a bad radiator. Evidence is there, but not sure the intensity or duration of the event. Might have something to do with it. No idea...

Gamble thought it was close last year when I saw him, but I figured it MUST have more life left based on my previous experiences. I mean, I could try, but it's all sticky and threads popping at both ends. Seems surely toast. Last zipper done at DUI if I recall correctly.

He also fixed 13 leaks that were not addressed from a pressure test done a week before in NJ. Lesson: go to Gamble, or somebody equally well regarded (or close). I don't even think they did the test at all...

My only DUI TLS350 lasted less than 7 years, by then it was a quadlaminate suit (trilaminate + lots of Aquasure) and still leaking.
My 1st 2 Kallweits were quite a bit better but after 9 years were shot too. My 2nd 2 Kallweits are now 9 years old and finally got new zippers a couple of months ago and are holding up well. Since I don't have an excellent relationship with other drysuit manufacturers, 2 weeks ago I took delivery of 2 new bespoke Kallweits that are planned for my retirement in Cave Country in the spring. I should be set for at least another 10 years.

Michael

So, after a year in storage I pull out my Dry Suit and the zipper seems to have melted/frayed a bit, likely the end of it's useful life.

This is the probably 3rd Zipper, maybe 4th. New in 2007. +1000 dives. Small leaks now an ever present issue. New wrist and neck zip rings installed not long ago.

At what point does one thumb the dive for the suit? Fully pimped out, but another $400 zipper when this last one lasted +/-75 dives? First one made it +500. Second one maybe 350-400. Is it the material it attaches to that's disintegrating being 12yrs old? Is this the fabled "delamination" issue?

I have a backup suit. Needs pockets, pee valve, and some kind of ring system to be a functional equivalent.

Thoughts, and your experience?

Dan...

We're not hearing anything about proper care/cleaning/drying/zipper lubing/storage...

Sounds to me...that your suit is used frequently...and hard...

More use...more care/maintenance...and earlier replacement...like everything else...

You'd probably think I'm nuts if I told you the care my DUI CF 200 Signature suit gets...just me...

Best...

W.W...

Zipper waxed at every zip usually. Minimum at start and finish of the day. Using DUI Zip Stick most of the time.

Usually stored fully dried in an appropriate drysuit bag, in some level of temperature controlled setting. Under 90f, above 40f. Typically stored with outer zipper closed and inner zipper open. Neck seal tucked in and wrists tucked into pockets.

Not placed near electrical motors, florescent ballasts etc to avoid ozone degradation. There is a shop light in the room, but more than 10' away.

Never left in UV other than to dry after a dive.

If stored over a prolonged period of time, Zip Seals removed, washed in Dawn, air dried, and stored in a Zip-Lock with unscented talc.

Did I miss anything?? If I'm making mistakes, I'd sure love to knock that right the Hell off. SAVE ME MONEY!

FWIW, my last metal zipper with my DUI FLX Extreme only lasted 78 dives before the tape frayed to the point it started leaking. Always took good care...someone mentioned it frayed due to my the weight pockets on my BC rubbing against the zipper, even though the outer zipper was always closed over the inner main zipper. Will see how long the new zipper lasts. YMMV is truth.

Sounds like you treated the suit and zipper right. My own take is that if you've gotten >1,000 dives from one drysuit, that's a bonus and it's time to reward yourself with a new one.

Sounds like you treated the suit and zipper right. My own take is that if you've gotten >1,000 dives from one drysuit, that's a bonus and it's time to reward yourself with a new one.

Terrible timing...

With a new zipper should get a few more years of cave diving, per Gamble last year. He still considered it "worth it". Hadn't figured on the tape; bet that's what went wrong. I wonder if he has time for a "rush" job...

For what it's worth did you have Gamble install his "heavy-duty" zipper that he sourced? The new one DUI installs is garbage. The one Gamble installed for me on my FLX lasted 400+ dives.

But to be completely honest I think 12 years is a pretty damn good run for a TLS suit. After a while the material just slowly abrades and becomes like a screen door. You're always going to be chasing leaks at this stage. Once you reach that point it's simply not worth putting anymore money into a TLS suit. I'd cut your losses, she had a good run..

To be clear I love my backup TLS. They're lightweight, dry amazingly quick but they're nowhere near the durability of an FLX or even CF200 suit. I think it's a great travel suit but it always amazes me when people consider them for cave diving.

But to be completely honest I think 12 years is a pretty damn good run for a TLS suit. After a while the material just slowly abrades and becomes like a screen door. You're always going to be chasing leaks at this stage.

One of my buddies has a TLS 350, and it is 13 years old. Several years ago, he started developing little pin holes. His suit was stored in a dark, climate controlled environment. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom