Red filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Klieb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there a website or an app that I can use to apply a red filter to my photos. Would like to try and get a lot of the picture I took as close to what the natural look is.

you can try the gimp red filter or the dive+ app for something quick and dirty vs manual retouching in adobe.
Ive tried Dive+ it helps but the pics still have very little of the natural color. I haven't heard of the Gimp red filter you have more info on this ?

it is through GIMP, which is an image editing program. the results are going to be similar to dive+ though. if your image is so blue that dive+ is not helping much, it may not be possible to get the color back

it is through GIMP, which is an image editing program. the results are going to be similar to dive+ though. if your image is so blue that dive+ is not helping much, it may not be possible to get the color back
ok well I guess ill have to look into getting the proper filters for my camera that way Dive+ can get them where they need to be

ok well I guess ill have to look into getting the proper filters for my camera that way Dive+ can get them where they need to be
If you can't correct them in post processing it is also likely that a red filter won't help either - past a certain depth there is no red light left unless you bring some with you( lights or a strobe). If there's no red to record a filter won't help you as it can't add back what is not there. Anything much beyond 10m is difficult or impossible to deal with. Here's an example shot at about 8m no strobe or light: http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~chrisx2/images/EasternBlueGroper10.jpg Much deeper and the pic turns to mush as there's no red channel to work with.

Maybe post a sample picture for an opinion on what might be possible?

Here is a sample image I want to say I was about 60' when I took this pic

PICT0232.jpg

That looks like motion blur on top of blue cast. While some color might be recoverable if you shot it in RAW, there is nothing you can do about the motion blur after the photo has been taken. A strobe (or two) would instantly solve both problems. If you're shooting with ambient light, you need fast shutter speed (1/500s or so) for countering motion blur, but this requires lots of light to work, bringing you back to strobes. A large sensor camera with a fast lens could, in theory, make it work, albeit at the cost of corner sharpness and/or distortion, but I doubt that you're using one of those. You didn't mention what camera you're using, but so long as it isn't a phone or a GoPro, strobes will give you an instant huge image quality boost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom