Should I grab these HP100s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are valves with 7/8 thread still being manufactured?
Xscuba is making them now

Who has plans to start making them again?
Nobody for scuba service

the 3/4" necks in 3442psi tanks have functionally replaced the 7/8" neck threading. There is zero need for someone to buck the now popular USA/Canadian/Mx industry standard 3/4" and offer either an alternative like m25 or 7/8" or even m18 (threadings which are in use for various other tanks in other countries or purposes)

The only reason 7/8" should be avoided is because they are a royal pain to tumble through that tiny neck opening

Merriam-Webster
Definition of obsolete

a: no longer in use or no longer useful an obsolete word
b: of a kind or style no longer current : OLD-FASHIONED

Since I dive vintage gear the second definition holds little intrest for me.

Alright, but the 2nd definition is exactly the one I am using to begin with. They are no longer a current style or in general use. DOT standard is irrelevant when scuba tanks aren't even being made like that anymore. They are old fashioned, out of style and no longer current. So that certainly meets that definition of obsolete.

make-a-mountain-out-of-a-molehill.png

Oh god now my LDS has used HP80s for $150 with fresh hydro...

Oh god now my LDS has used HP80s for $150 with fresh hydro...
HP80s are nice cylinders. For some, they offer near ideal buoyancy and trim characteristics. Of course, they are only 80 cf cylinders, so there is no gas capacity advantage, at least compared with what you would get with 100s. And, they are smaller cylinders (~20 inches long, vs ~24" for the 100s), so - for some divers, at least - they do not trim out all that well. But, $150 / cylinder is a very good price, as good as the 'new' retail cost of AL80s.

Are these newer, 3/4" necks? Or, older, 7/8" necks? If the former, I would buy them myself if I had a chance. If the older, smaller neck cylinders, I would probably take a pass. The 80cf size just doesn't offer enough advantage.

HP80s are nice cylinders. For some, they offer near ideal buoyancy and trim characteristics. Of course, they are only 80 cf cylinders, so there is no gas capacity advantage, at least compared with what you would get with 100s. And, they are smaller cylinders (~20 inches long, vs ~24" for the 100s), so - for some divers, at least - they do not trim out all that well. But, $150 / cylinder is a very good price, as good as the 'new' retail cost of AL80s.

Are these newer, 3/4" necks? Or, older, 7/8" necks? If the former, I would buy them myself if I had a chance. If the older, smaller neck cylinders, I would probably take a pass. The 80cf size just doesn't offer enough advantage.

I'm on the shorter side at 5'7", so the short tanks feel pretty good. I'm not sure what necks they have, but I might go into the shop and check them out. I'm getting annoyed with renting tanks. I've been put through the gamut of LP85 (my favorite so far), LP72, LP66, and AL80s. Diving the aluminum tanks here in the PNW was not fun on the ascent! I would like to work on getting ideal trim but it's difficult if each day of diving means a different set of tanks.

Love my HP80s. Lovely for single tank. Perfect for us shorter people as AL80s are just too long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom