Thermalution Heated Vests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got my Yellow+ in the water, under my Wetwear 5mm full suit. Water temp the usual 72 degrees, air temp was in the mid to low 60s.

It was a short dive, but on low I didn't feel a chill in my upper body, switched to medium during my safety stop which is when I normally get cold. Switched it on high was I got out of the water, and kept it on for quite a while after, it really warmed me up post dive, particularly after I put my Surf Fur on.

So far my impression is that it is nice, but not the $1,200 that I would've have had pay for it new with an extra set of batteries. If you are a normal person cave diving with a wetsuit, I would take that money and invest it in a drysuit first. But since a drysuit isn't in my cards for at least the next six months, and I got it used, I think it will be a good value.

Now the real test will be the first weekend in January when I will be doing two hour dives twice a day as part of cave training.

I have an older version of the Thermalution. Used it a few times diving in new england, esp when the temps below surface can hit the low to mid 50s and occasionally hit high 40s. I dive a 7mm and having the vest makes it really comfortable and toasty. My feet and hands would still get cold but nothing like it used to be. Heating the core makes a big difference. I'm comfy and can enjoy the dive without shivering or feeling like I want to end the dive sooner than later. Had a trip to Maine and my buddies would come up cold while I was comfortable.

Have you ever peed in your wetsuit? No, me neither, but that's what it feels like to wear a heated vest throughout your dive. :) If diving a wetsuit, the vest works by heating the thin layer of water next to your skin. My instructions said to wear the vest next to your skin. I didn't like that. Wore the vest over a dive skin. I think it keeps the heated water from circulating too much. Also, anything above low level heat setting was too hot! And typically I would turn it on just before getting in because it would take a minute or two to heat up. One time I waited until I was in the water and turned it on as I was getting cold. It was too late and while it helped, I was not as comfortable as having it on before getting in. YMMV

Because my version is only good for about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hrs, if I do 2 dives on the same charge, I'll turn the vest off at the end of the first dive to conserve battery life and I'm just fine ending the dive as it gets a little cooler. I do love the vest but don't dive NE any more. Would sell it if you're still looking. Either way, get the vest. You won't regret it.

Are you all comfortable with using thermalution batteries inside your drysuit?
I would love to try this ir heating technology but I am hesitating because I feel external battery would be safer. They don't seem to offer connectors for external batteries?

I would love to try this ir heating technology but I am hesitating because I feel external battery would be safer. They don't seem to offer connectors for external batteries?

This is the one reason I will never dive with one of them. If there is a problem with the battery causing it to, well, to put it lightly get really hot. Then you are definitely going to be needing a skin graft.

Obviously some people feel that concern isn't justified. But when you can purchase a heated vest and external battery pack for about the same price I'm not sure what the advantage is.

Yes, and for the same reasons I put my phone in my pocket.

I looked around in previous threads and there just doesn't seem to be a lot of posts regarding regular use of heated vests. I get cold quite easy. I dove a 5mm w/ 1.5 skin and beanie in Raja Ampat and was still cold. People thought I was nuts! :rofl3:

We're going on the Nautilus Explorer to Socorro mid February and I'm pretty worried, as the water temps are going to be in the low-mid 70's. I'd generally avoid cooler destinations, but it's Socorro and it's been my dream to see the giant pacific manta rays there for 9 years. I don't want to have to cut my diving short and I don't want to wear a 7mm. It's just too bulkey and I don't want to have to wear a bunch of weight in my travel BC.

Has anyone used one with success? I priced out Thermalution back in January when we booked this trip and they're weren't as pricey as they seem to be now. There is a "sale" going on now, which would save me $50 bucks but I have to buy it by December 16th.

Does anyone have any first or second hand experience with these? I feel it's my only hope to be comfortable, but would love some feedback if possible!

DG...

I believe part of the reason you're cold in 70 degree water with a full 5 mm/1.5 mm skin...is that your suit is too large and is flushing too much water...

If a heated vest is something you think you can't live without by all means purchase one...but you may find...if your suit is flushing water...the heated vest will be of little benefit...

Myself...I would prefer a tropical weight dry-suit over a heated vest...again...proper fit is critical...

Best...

W.W...

I loved mine until it got stolen. No issues using it in a drysuit

will be buying another heated vest but recently had $7500 in stuff stolen and $8000 in vet bills so it’s gonna be a little bit longer until it’s in the budget

Thought I'd circle back after returning last week from our Socorro trip. With regards to the vest, it went well... I LOVED IT! I dove a 5mm Bare Evoke, 6mm hard soled boots, scuba socks, skin, heated vest and a 5/3 bibbed hood. Wearing the hood versus my 1mm beanie definitely helped to keep me warmer. It also reminds me of how much I hate hoods! haha Oh well, you do what you gotta do. Water temps were between 70 - 75 degrees. For me, the heated vest was quite effective from 73 - 75 degrees. I struggled staying comfortable in the lower 70 - 71 degree water., even with the vest on high, but that was also toward the end of the trip after repetitive dives.

On a couple of dives, I didn't even have to turn it on. Probably too distracted by circling giant mantas! lol I had quite a few dives where I turned it on at the start or mid-dive on low (MAYBE medium toward the very end) and that was sufficient. Then there were a couple where even having it on high didn't keep me comfortable, but it was tolerable for a 35 or so minute dive. I will say that my wetsuit ended up being just a little too "loose". I bought a Bare Evoke for a great price and measured myself before selecting a size. It felt quite snug when I did a test run (it was dry) but the suit stretched quite a bit when wet. If it had been a little tighter, I would have had better results.

Initially, I would turn the vest off when we were back in the skiff, to preserve battery life. I had a spare set and always had some charged, so I began leaving it on until I was back to the ship. GAME CHANGER! lol Depending on how long it took to pick up divers, the wind and cool air temps really made most divers chilled on the surface. That's when they really got jealous of my vest, as I was staying toasty warm! lol This allowed me to maintain my core temp better between dives.

All in all, the vest performed well and did what it needed to do to allow me to make this trip without a 7mm or drysuit. Despite this, I'm fairly sure this vest will not cause me to pursue colder dive destinations (Galapagos, Southern Cal, etc..). I just prefer warmer waters, but I'm super pumped to see how my next tropical dives go with just a 3mm and the heated vest.

If you get cold easily to the point where it impacts the quality of your dives and you can justify the expense, (buying used is also an option, obviously), I think it's a worthwhile investment. Really loved having the spare set of batteries to swap out, so I never had to worry about them dying mid-dive.

Initially, I would turn the vest off when we were back in the skiff, to preserve battery life. I had a spare set and always had some charged, so I began leaving it on until I was back to the ship. GAME CHANGER! lol Depending on how long it took to pick up divers, the wind and cool air temps really made most divers chilled on the surface. That's when they really got jealous of my vest, as I was staying toasty warm! lol This allowed me to maintain my core temp better between dives.

Wear a jacket like a Surf Fur over it, and it will be more of a game changer.

But I agree with your assessment it keeps the chill off it doesn't stop it.

I have been using a Thermalution vest since they first came out and really like it. I generally start the dive with it off and let myself get cold -- when I turn it on low, it feels like a warm bath.

One word of advice, however: Be very careful how you put the vest on and take it off. The lycra vest stretches but not all of the electronics inside stretch to the same degree. I have had multiple instances of loose connections and the heating pad coming unglued from the shirt. If you are careful not to stretch the vest putting it on and taking it off, this may not be an issue but no matter how careful I am I find it happens eventually.

I send it back and they repair it but roundtrip shipping to Taiwan and, if out of warranty, labor charges add up. (For this reason, I would recommend against buying used as the warranty is good for the original owner.)

As much as I like it, I am reaching the point where it's no longer cost effective to keep repairing it. I am looking at the Venture Heat vest, which has a zipper on the side so no stretching to don and doff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom