Pondering upgrading from US Divers Arctic Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey All,

I am currently using a US Divers Arctic Reg. Just got certified last year, and got this off a friend, He gave me the reg when I bought his tank. Had it serviced in July and put 8 dives on it. Haven't had any issues with it, but was told by a few folks that I should think about getting something a bit newer down the road Can't say I know enough at this point to notice a difference in things, however, I would assume newer technology and materials versus stuff from 20+ years ago probably has some advantages.
Surprisingly, regulators from 20 years ago are really quite similar to newer regulators. I don’t know much about the Arctic reg, but If it were mine, I’d look at two factors to decide if I’d replace it.
1. Is it balanced?
2. Can I get it serviced?

If the answer to both of those is yes, then probably no need to replace. If no on either, there is an argument to be made to replace. Especially if the answer to number 2 is no.

For what it’s worth, I have 2 reg sets. One fairly new, one about 17 or 18 years old. Not really a noticeable difference in performance. Both are Zeagles, and like all non-Apeks Zeagles, use the same service kits, so I’ve got confidence I can get both serviced for quite some time. Probably add another Zeagle to the stable soon, as daughter #2 is diving now. Daughter #1 uses the older Zeagle.

Additional question...my tank is a steel 120 with a DIN connection. If I go with a new reg, should I get a 1st stage setup for DIN, or get a yolk setup and get a new valve for my tank?
DIN. Without a doubt. If you find that you might use a yoke reg from time to time, a DIN to yoke adapter is simple to use.

First off get a drysuit, I need more winter dive buddies up here.

Second lets go diving.

Do you like the way the reg breathes and can you get it serviced (being RI I'm guessing your going to dive on it or gaint stride) if chris or red can get the parts and it breathes well use it and invest the money elsewhere.

Get the S620Ti, after about 30 dives with it in a variety of conditions I can only say good things. It's small, light, delivers effortlessly. I use it with the MK17Evo (I prefer sealed) and whenever I switch to my pony reg (MK2Evo R195) I am reminded of just how much better this combo is.

Especially given your own tank, get a DIN reg and a Yoke adapter for travels (Scubapro makes a lightweight one and you just screw it on and it is ready to go for an old world setup).

DIN is better. On most valves, you just unscrew the plug with an hex key, and there you find a DIN receptacle, which is much safer.
When this is not true, you screw a DIN-Yoke adaptor on your DIN reg.
If you want to upgrade, consider buying another DIN first stage, so you can have two fully independent regs fed by two independent valves (and possibly two independent tanks). This gives you maximum redundancy and better safety.

If your current reg works, is trouble free, and you like it, I would continue to use it until it could not be serviced. YMMV but I would keep the DIN valve and buy a DIN to yoke adapter for those times you may have to rent a non-DIN tank. You buy one for $25 or so. In my experience they are all the same.

I forgot to add. I'm suddo DIR so I dive DIN. For travel I just use a DIN to yoke conferter.

Can I mix 1st and second stages? Like keep my existing Arctic 1st stage and then just get S620TI? Would the MK25 EVO DIN 300 work on my tank if I decided to upgrade both stages? It is a 3500psi tank.

Thanks!!

The Arctic 1st is a great first stage regulator. Overhaul kits are still available and it is very durable. Another benefit is that it is so heavy it acts as a trim weight, especially useful in single tank diving.

The second stage is nothing special but breathes surprisingly well due to the typically large US Divers/Aqualung diaphragm. However it is non adjustable so if you find yourself swimming against a strong current the regulator may free flow a little. If you just had everything rebuilt I would recommend spending your money elsewhere until problems develop with the second stage, especially at your level of diving. If you really feel the need to upgrade the second stage I would recommend getting an Apeks adjustable second stage as they are also owned by Aqualung and would making getting servicing easier for both stages, as any Aqualung LDS should be able to service both.

A more inexpensive upgrade option would be to get any of the similar Apeks second stage designed copies from Hog, Deep Six, Dive Gear Express (DGX) and Dive Right in Scuba (DRIS). I am an independent Hog equipment dealer in CT so you can PM me if you have any other questions on this option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom