Socorro / Revillagigedo by private boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My wife and I live-aboard our ocean-going 46 ft trawler full time. We are currently in the Puerto Vallarta area and considering taking our own boat to the Revillagigedo Islands. We are both "Rescue Diver" qualified and have done most of our diving in the cold, current heavy, dark, poor visibility waters of Puget Sound Washington. The boat is capable of up to 3000 NM without shore support (including water and dive air). We have so far learned that the permit requirements recently changed but are still trying to find out the details.

In any case is there someone on the forum who has done this trip who can offer suggestions including: good anchorages, minimum number of divers/crew you would consider acceptable, information on getting permits, lower risks dive sites, etc..

Thanks
Norman and Clarice

The one thing that I learned from the crew on our trip to the islands, is that all the boats communicate to work out priorities for the best dive sites. So the first boat to anchor gets first choice of a time for their first dive and the others follow in order. The next day anyone who is still there moves up a position. I think this was only needed at the "Boiler" and Roca Partida.

Just offering the little that I know.

Whenever I have gone on a Revillagigedo commercial liveaboard - the Solmar V, in this case - we have had to check in with the Mexican Naval Station in Socorro Island. The Navy officers board the boat and among other things, they inspect the guests' documents. Suggest that you check into this. This is by no means the only bureaucratic requirement - I am sure that there are permits and fees involved, but that is all transparent to us liveaboard guests.

Beyond that, I don't think that liveaboard anchorages are classified info, so the overnight anchorages most commonly used at each island are: near the El Cañon divesite in San Benedicto Island, and at Cabo Pearce in Socorro Island. Roca Partida does not have a "good" anchorage so staying there overnight depends on sea conditions. We have never ventured out to Clarion Island, so.....

Good luck.

Spent a week there last May on the Nautilus Explorer, saw no private boats, only commercial liveaboards. The Navy inspection at Socorro was friendly enough but professional/serious. Not sure about the anchorages. Most all dives from a tender with a driver who knew where he was, where to drop, skilled at pick up. Most dives best with a guide who knows the site. Some significant current or surge

Best of luck, let us know what you find out and what you end up doing.

Back
Top Bottom