Fear Into the Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My guess would be that you have a bit of claustrophobia. My wife was admittedly claustrophobic, she could dive in clear water but no way murky, and for that reason. She knew it.

Go into a pool at night, work on getting used to being in dark water but in a completely controlled environment.

I don't think I'm claustrophobic. I've been spelunking when I've had to squeeze through some really tight spaces for fairly long distances and it never bothered me. Being on the bottom of a big heaping pile of cousins playing football never bothered me, heck wearing a wetsuit doesn't bother me. Being in really tight crawl spaces running gas lines never bothered me.

I really think it's just a fear of the unknown. I have a healthy fear of heights, but never stopped me from working on the roof of a building on a chilling tower. I do creep to the edge and look over the sides, no issues.

It's almost like being in a new environment on top of the wall, being cold, and in the dark all by myself ticked all the boxes at the same time. Again though, not a panic fear. More like a "I'll try this another day" type of decision based on fear.

I like the idea of going into a dark pool, but I don't think it'll be anywhere close to the quarry. I need to find a local indoor pool so I can practice with some new gear that I got anyway.

Go into a pool at night, work on getting used to being in dark water but in a completely controlled environment.
But how controlled is it? ...choose your pool carefully :wink:...

But how controlled is it? ...choose your pool carefully :wink:...

LOL, what the hell did I just watch....I want my 2:15 back:rofl3:

Simple solution: go get a torch

even simpler solution: grab a buddy, push him go first

Reminds me of being on night dives and seeing the beam from your light and very occasionally that fleeting creepy sensation that there might be something just beyond the beam.

Try the blackwater dive off Kona: you dangling, like a big ol' piece of bait, at the end of a 50 foot rope for 45 minutes... over a few thousand feet of dark water.

That part of your brain with the wild imagination having a 15 round boxing match with the part of your brain that tries to be rational. But that's what kind of makes it fun. And, of course, funny lookin' transparent critters with flashing lights in them floating by occasionally.

Simple solution: go get a torch

even simpler solution: grab a buddy, push him go first
I actually had 2 lights, but with all the particulate in the water they weren't doing much. No buddy in sight. This all happened very fast. In 30 seconds I was somewhere else.
Try the blackwater dive off Kona: you dangling, like a big ol' piece of bait, at the end of a 50 foot rope for 45 minutes... over a few thousand feet of dark water.

That part of your brain with the wild imagination having a 15 round boxing match with the part of your brain that tries to be rational. But that's what kind of makes it fun. And, of course, funny lookin' transparent critters with flashing lights in them floating by occasionally.
That sounds absolutely terrifying and very exciting all at the same time. Like the end all be all night dive. Do you have to do it at night? Why is the water so dark?

I also have problems with new areas where I can't see the bottom. At that point I focus on the wall, check my depth often and try not to look down lol.

At home we dive dark freshwater. For new divers to the area we try to use entry spots with sloped descents where we can see the bottom.

I had a chance to dive a blue hole in Bahamas... couldn't do it. Just swam the circumference. Same trip we did an abyss wall starting at 60' or so... I ended up staying withing 10' of the lip for my own comfort. No shame in that... I stayed within my comfort zone and had a fun dive.

You can slowly push your limits beyond where they are now... just never compromise your safety (which includes your mental state). Fear is healthy... panic kills... and it can be a fine line between the two states. Gradually work on it.

I also have problems with new areas where I can't see the bottom. At that point I focus on the wall, check my depth often and try not to look down lol.

At home we dive dark freshwater. For new divers to the area we try to use entry spots with sloped descents where we can see the bottom.

I had a chance to dive a blue hole in Bahamas... couldn't do it. Just swam the circumference. Same trip we did an abyss wall starting at 60' or so... I ended up staying withing 10' of the lip for my own comfort. No shame in that... I stayed within my comfort zone and had a fun dive.

You can slowly push your limits beyond where they are now... just never compromise your safety (which includes your mental state). Fear is healthy... panic kills... and it can be a fine line between the two states. Gradually work on it.

Enjoyed your story.

I agree moving slow is the best way. Panic, regardless of the situation, never helps anything. My wife likes to panic, I like to solve problems. It's amazing how if someone is there with me though, the fear is gone. Heck, I'd even be the 1st one down the wall.

I watch videos on youtube where someone is diving in just blue water. Can't see the bottom, can't see the surface, just bright blue water everywhere. My heart races a little just from watching, almost like standing at the edge of a cliff, but if there's other divers around in the video I don't feel that at all. I'm like, "oh, he's fine, no biggie".

That sounds absolutely terrifying and very exciting all at the same time. Like the end all be all night dive. Do you have to do it at night? Why is the water so dark?

The things to see only come up from the depths of the ocean at night and sink back into the abyss during the day. I want to do this dive but can’t convince my dive partner to proceed.

I was preparing for a night dive in the sea (Atlantic) just over a month ago. There was quite a bit of swell, about 5 ft vertical and 4 yards sideways, at the jetty which would make exit a bit tricky and the water had that sort of menacing swirling look to it so some were already a bit nervous. I was chatting to one of the group who I knew to be an experienced instructor but then she said she had never dived at night before, was there anything about night diving that bothered me. I said not really but then jokingly added that sometime on night dives I get the feeling a large fish is lurking in the darkness eyeing me up for its breakfast, putting in mildly this did nothing to boost the confidence of the members of the group who were already nervous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom