Shearwater NERD video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divetech Cayman

Contributor
Reaction score
In May 2011, I was diving with Bruce Partridge of Shearwater Research off one of Grand Cayman's many dive sites. He swam up to me underwater and showed me his latest invention - a prototype of what was to become the Shearwater Near Eye Remote Display, or NERD. The NERD is basically a heads-up display, that shows all of your dive information right in your mask at all times. When Bruce and I surfaced, my first words to him were, I want to buy the first one you sell.

Since about 2012 or so, I've been diving a Shearwater NERD on my rebreather. It is hands down the single best invention for rebreather use ever. It not only makes my diving safer, but it makes me a much better diver. For those who haven't used one, it's hard to describe how much it improves your dive. So I've made this short video of a scooter dive I did off Divetech's Lighthouse Point shore site, which tries to illustrate how awesome this display is.

Let me know what you think:

Tony

In May 2011, I was diving with Bruce Partridge of Shearwater Research off one of Grand Cayman's many dive sites. He swam up to me underwater and showed me his latest invention - a prototype of what was to become the Shearwater Near Eye Remote Display, or NERD. The NERD is basically a heads-up display, that shows all of your dive information right in your mask at all times. When Bruce and I surfaced, my first words to him were, I want to buy the first one you sell.

Since about 2012 or so, I've been diving a Shearwater NERD on my rebreather. It is hands down the single best invention for rebreather use ever. It not only makes my diving safer, but it makes me a much better diver. For those who haven't used one, it's hard to describe how much it improves your dive. So I've made this short video of a scooter dive I did off Divetech's Lighthouse Point shore site, which tries to illustrate how awesome this display is.

Let me know what you think:

Tony

Love the shore dive at Lighthouse Point - almost always see some turtles there.

Curious - why did what I’m assuming is the PO2 go red at over 1.6 when you were back up at 21 feet (~2:36 in)?

Love the shore dive at Lighthouse Point - almost always see some turtles there.

Curious - why did what I’m assuming is the PO2 go red at over 1.6 when you were back up at 21 feet (~2:36 in)?
At 20 feet, it's common for rebreather divers to do an oxygen flush to validate their sensors are not current limited below 1.6. If the PO2 should exceed 1.6, it will begin flashing red.

With the Shearwater, general alarms will flash with yellow, and critical alarms will flash with red. PO2 above 1.6 being considered the latter.

Tony

At 20 feet, it's common for rebreather divers to do an oxygen flush to validate their sensors are not current limited below 1.6. If the PO2 should exceed 1.6, it will begin flashing red.

Tony
Thx for explaining - I was wondering how/why PO2 could get that high when so shallow!

Great video, and the NERD is awesome, I can't believe that I used to dive without it.

How did you do the video? Where did you get the NERD display feed to sync up with the dive? Or is that simulated?

Great video, and the NERD is awesome, I can't believe that I used to dive without it.

How did you do the video? Where did you get the NERD display feed to sync up with the dive? Or is that simulated?
I tried for the better part of a year to film the actual display on a dive. I was never able to get it to work, so this is simulated.

Very cool. I think that the Paralenz camera lets you put basic dive info in the video stream.... but of course that't not the same as this.

Gotta get there someday...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom