Return Flight from Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gryffin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am booking flights to/from Little Cayman and have a question on the return. There is a 2:10PM flight from Little Cayman that arrives in Grand Cayman at 2:45PM. Our departing flight from Grand Cayman is at 4:31PM. I've read that this can be tight for Cayman Airways. Thoughts?

I am booking flights to/from Little Cayman and have a question on the return. There is a 2:10PM flight from Little Cayman that arrives in Grand Cayman at 2:45PM. Our departing flight from Grand Cayman is at 4:31PM. I've read that this can be tight for Cayman Airways. Thoughts?

What time of year and which day of the week will you be traveling?

That's probably enough time but I'd prefer to get to GCM earlier in case of delays.

If you could catch an earlier flight you will probably have time to claim and recheck your bags and check in for home - and then catch the free shuttle to the nearby George Town Yacht Club for a good meal in a lovely setting. I think that it's a nice way to squeeze in a little more vacation time before leaving, and much more pleasant than sitting around an airport.

The GTYC is only about 3 minutes away and the driver will be waiting to take you back to GCM at the time you request. They are open for lunch at 11 am on weekdays and for breakfast at 8:30 am on Saturday and Sunday, and they will stash your carry-on luggage while you eat.

Yacht Club:
George Town Yacht Club

Free Shuttle:
George Town Yacht Club

We are traveling home on February 8 which is, unfortunately, a Saturday. It's not my first visit to GCM, but it is my first to Little Cayman. The next earlier flight is 7AM, but if that is the recommended way to go, we'll have to do it!

We are traveling home on February 8 which is, unfortunately, a Saturday. It's not my first visit to GCM, but it is my first to Little Cayman. The next earlier flight is 7AM, but if that is the recommended way to go, we'll have to do it!

You are traveling during the peak season and on the busiest day of the week. The airport is likely to get crowded but the crowds usually peak between around 11 am to 3 pm so it may not be too bad.

7:00 am is very early for a late afternoon connection and it might interfere with your "wait to fly time" after diving the day before?

Chances are that you will have enough time with the later flight. I would suggest 2 hours and you have about 1 hour and 45 minutes. It's tight but it's probably fine but I will let others chime in who travel to LC more frequently.

Our flight left 10 minutes early last week but the little cayman setup is definitely “casual”

I loved that the hotel/airline requested people send bags a day early as Saturdays are the busy days and your stuff might not make GCM otherwise. (All of ours did.)

Is your outbound also Cayman Air?

If you don't mind the extra expense you could hire the airport's Meet and Greet service and they will put you on the fast track and do their best to ensure that you make your connection.

Meet and Greet Service – CEO’s Welcome

That's tight. If you can risk it with no commitment to be home that day or the next it could work. If you have to be somewhere or have commitments I would take an earlier flight.

We don’t really have any commitments to worry about. If we are late we’d just need to be able to find somewhere to stay.

We don’t really have any commitments to worry about. If we are late we’d just need to be able to find somewhere to stay.

Not always easy or cheap on a Saturday in high season, but the airport staff should be able to advise you. Some of the "one night" hotel options that I know of include Comfort Suites, Margaritaville, and the Grand Caymanian Holiday Inn and there may be some other, possibly more expensive, choices.

Look at Locale 345. Not where you might choose for a beach holiday, but on the same side of WBR as SMB. Newly finished, nice size rooms and reasonable pricing as it is more a business hotel. Unless I was scraping bottom I wouldn’t choose Comfort Suites (sold and scheduled for development) or Margaritaville which should have been torn done. Word locally is not to bother with restaurants at 345 (Bonfire etc). There are much better choices right across the street. Coconut Joes is awesome and their breakfast cannot be best. Heads Up — The Holiday Inn is about to raise their room surcharge in the new year. Perhaps otherwise will follow suit. If you decide to stick with the earlier flight you have enough time to actually go to SMB and chill on the beach for half a day. There are lots of options. You don’t have to spend several hours sitting in one place. You could even rent a car and do a little island tour!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom