Punta Arenas Chile. Any info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FreeFlyFreak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Im going to be taking a trip to Punta Arenas in Chile end of December beginning of January.

Been looking at maybe doing some diving while I'm down there.

I only see two dive ops online
Patagonia Diving
and
Mundo Submarino

Anyone dove down there have any insight into anything diving related or in relation to these or other dive shops there?

Any insight at all would be great.
All I know right now is, it looks to be 5-6 C water temp, brrrr.
If between my Spanish and their English we can understand each other maybe a drysuit course would be in order.

Thanks

I haven't been yet to the far south of my own country (I know, shame on me) but I have dived in the central coast and it's freezing (usually between 12-16C). I'd say a dry suit and course is most definitely in order, in fact I even got myself a Seaskin Nova a few months ago in order to dive more regularly in here.

I'm about to go to the local shop in Santiago on Monday to get a 5mm for another trip and I know the owner's daughter works down there. I'll ask them and give you a shout.

I haven't been yet to the far south of my own country (I know, shame on me) but I have dived in the central coast and it's freezing (usually between 12-16C). I'd say a dry suit and course is most definitely in order, in fact I even got myself a Seaskin Nova a few months ago in order to dive more regularly in here.

I'm about to go to the local shop in Santiago on Monday to get a 5mm for another trip and I know the owner's daughter works down there. I'll ask them and give you a shout.
I emailed the 2 dive shops in Punta Arenas.
One didn't get back to me, the other one said "I regret to inform you that due to the latest events in our country, our store is closed, until further notice…………..maybe next March."

So guess I am out of luck.

Thank you, very much.

Yeah, there's been a huge civil protest going on since October 18 but I didn't know that it was so bad down there. I do know that tourism as a whole has taken quite a beating but I really thought they were doing better than most, it is Patagonia after all.

I wouldn't be surprised with one of them not getting back to you, it's pretty standard business-as-usual in Chile. Let me see if I can find out some better news for you on Monday.

Yeah, there's been a huge civil protest going on since October 18 but I didn't know that it was so bad down there. I do know that tourism as a whole has taken quite a beating but I really thought they were doing better than most, it is Patagonia after all.

I wouldn't be surprised with one of them not getting back to you, it's pretty standard business-as-usual in Chile. Let me see if I can find out some better news for you on Monday.

Yes, please let me know.

Topside it’s often cold and windy down there. Just depressing weather. Even with a drysuit and serious (heated) undergarments I can’t imagine diving there. Maybe a hearty northern Californian or a Scot, Icelander, etc., would not be intimidated.

I've dived the Beagle Channel out of Ushaia. It was fine in a drysuit but there wasn't a lot to see, just a load of little lobster like things which shot off into the distance at high speed and a king crab.

Topside it’s often cold and windy down there. Just depressing weather. Even with a drysuit and serious (heated) undergarments I can’t imagine diving there. Maybe a hearty northern Californian or a Scot, Icelander, etc., would not be intimidated.

Funny you should say that.
I grew up 100 miles from the Scottish border, and dive wet in Norcal.
The water is colder down in Punta Arenas though 5-6C vs the 10-12 here.

I'll see what EduFeind finds out.
But right now I am beginning to wonder if I am going to go at all. My GF is on a work trip down there and I was going to tag along, but between the Cloud, Rain, Wind, Cold, lack of diving, Civil Unrest and Tear Gas reports in Hotel reviews Im thinking I might just skip it and stay home. Or go somewhere warm.

Punta Arenas as in where the Antarctic cruises leave from? Yikes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom