Diving While on Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could do the same thing that Christy is doing - refuse to dive with ops who don't do all the stuff you say they should do. Would that make you feel like a hypocrite because you flew to Cozumel in an air polluting plane?
I already told u i know im not env freindly. I drive a car and whatever we do to contribute. I dont throw my trash on the ground and recycle what i can. Thats what i can do. What i dont do is say anyone on a cruise ship doesnt care about the env. I could care less if a dive op has ANY best management practices or does any of the things i talk about. But why not focus on what you can do in your business. If you really care and want to be environmentally freindly you can do small things to help. A plastic cup didnt kill the reef. But all the degreaser you spray the motor down with and wash off contributes to the reef health. Thats why i said it takes education to get people to realize the things they may be doing contribute to the problem. We cant stop the cruise ships but we can do small things - if they really care as much as they claim.
I said it before. People want to be env freindly until it costs them money.

Or try to educate people about urban runoff and all the soaps, bleaches and things runoff into the ocean when they scrub the sidewalks.

I already told u i know im not env freindly. I drive a car and whatever we do to contribute. I dont throw my trash on the ground and recycle what i can. Thats what i can do. What i dont do is say anyone on a cruise ship doesnt care about the env. I could care less if a dive op has ANY best management practices or does any of the things i talk about. But why not focus on what you can do in your business. If you really care and want to be environmentally freindly you can do small things to help. A plastic cup didnt kill the reef. But all the degreaser you spray the motor down with and wash off contributes to the reef health. Thats why i said it takes education to get people to realize the things they may be doing contribute to the problem. We cant stop the cruise ships but we can do small things - if they really care as much as they claim.
I said it before. People want to be env freindly until it costs them money.
None of that makes any difference in Christy's case. She says she is doing one thing and you beat her up for not doing something else. She has her own reasons for what she does and it's not my place (or yours, either, for that matter) to tell her what to do. She along with many friends of mine who live on Cozumel hate what cruise ships have done to the island over the last 20-30 years, and it's not just the pollution. I'm sure she feels like when she caters to cruising divers she is supporting that industry and she wants to stop. It makes no difference that the measures she is taking will have no effect on the cruise ship industry or the pollution it causes; she just doesn't want to part of it.

. The southerns ai's supposedly dump sewage straight in the ocean. Has she stopped servicing customers there? or pick and chose the pollutors you boycott. I have no problems with boycotting cruise ships. I hate them to. But the hotels are owned by big corp and not following rules also. People that stay there must not care about the env.
Are you a everyday enviromentalist?
Im not.
Many of you that get on your soapboxes arent either.

. The southerns ai's supposedly dump sewage straight in the ocean. Has she stopped servicing customers there? or pick and chose the pollutors you boycott. I have no problems with boycotting cruise ships. I hate them to. But the hotels are owned by big corp and not following rules also. People that stay there must not care about the env.
Im not.

While this has been rumored and I suspect is true, I have not seen a list of resorts that do this. I have see the video of pipes going through the cenotes but not one resort has been identified.

My hope is someday the Mexican government slaps those resorts with a large daily fine and uses that money to continue to monitor big corporations for compliance. But sadly most fines are a drop in the bucket in cost compared to cost to comply.

Until fines become more costly than compliance, none of these big polluters (cruise, AI, fill in the blank...) will ever have incentive to stop. And with big fines come the chance of big bribes.

Im not.
As I said, I suspect that Christy's motivation goes beyond the polluting that the BUBs do, and I don't know what you say about the southern hotels to be true. Beyond that I don't believe it is necessary for someone to be squeaky clean before they can take a stand against a major polluter, nor do I think it's imperative to take a stand against them all if you take a stand against any of them.

As for getting on a soapbox, that's what you are doing as well.

While this has been rumored and I suspect is true, I have not seen a list of resorts that do this. I have see the video of pipes going through the cenotes but not one resort has been identified.

My hope is someday the Mexican government slaps those resorts with a large daily fine and uses that money to continue to monitor big corporations for compliance. But sadly most fines are a drop in the bucket in cost compared to cost to comply.

Until fines become more costly than compliance, none of these big polluters (cruise, AI, fill in the blank...) will ever have incentive to stop. And with big fines come the chance of big bribes.

No I don't believe that all the Southern Ads dump straight into the ocean. Perhaps some of the small day beaches do.

AS best I know they dig wells as deep as 100ft and dump there. However, as most divers understand, the underground rivers empty onto the reefs pretty quickly. Remember those fresh water haloclines at 100 ft deep?Nice and cool and pretty!

The only logical answer is to put a modern sewage treatment plant down south…but it is probably easier/less expensive to shut down the reef for two months—dumbest crap I've seen here in 27 years.

Dave Dillehay

Yep, exactly like all the dive boats!

Christi - that is horrible, but that is NOT a major passenger cruise line doing that. If you have ever been on a cruise ship, and been on the Behind the scenes tour, you see how all trash onboard the cruise ship is sorted (by hand, gross, yes there are people who have to go thru it as their daily job all day), and food products go into a grinder, which is dumped in ocean where allowed out at sea. All other trash (paper, plastics, metals) goes into compacting machines and is pressed into big blocks which are loaded off the ship when back at home port at end of cruise. It is a very complicated system, but very thorough. We have watched it. We have first hand knowledge of it.

This guy dumping trash into water in that video ... disgusting, but honestly worldwide this is an issue. The major cruise lines are not the ones doing it. Those are cargo ships in other parts of the world or other vessels under different rules. It is wrong regardless.

FYI - we did a liveaboard many years ago in SW Asia... the things we saw dumped in the ocean daily was disgusting and scary. Crew of our boat gathered on the back daily to watch it all hit the water and the feeding frenzy start by the fish and then the sharks attracted... and laugh and laugh about it. But that was not here in Caribbean, and your insinuation is that it is. You should be more cautious what you post.

Below is your post, abbreviated:

All other trash (paper, plastics, metals) goes into compacting machines and is pressed into big blocks which are loaded off the ship when back at home port at end of cruise. It is a very complicated system, but very thorough. We have watched it. We have first hand knowledge of it.

This guy dumping trash into water in that video ... disgusting, but that was not here in Caribbean, and your insinuation is that it is. You should be more cautious what you post.

Below is a news article dated May 1, 2019:

“Carnival Corporation was back in federal court in downtown Miami Wednesday (May 1, 2019) to face three new charges that it violated probation. The new charges relate to discharging plastic into Bahamian waters. The charges stem from the company’s second year on probation for its 2016 conviction for environmental crimes. Carnival Corp. has acknowledged the incidents but stressed that they were not intentional.

The company has been on probation since April 2017 as part of a $40 million settlement for dumping oily waste into the ocean from its Princess Cruise Line ships for eight years and covering it up. It was Carnival Corp.’s third conviction for the same crime since 1998.

In March, the probation officer first alerted U.S. District Court Judge Patricia Seitz that Carnival Corp. had violated its probation, citing incidents from the company’s first year on probation of falsifying records, failing to give enough authority to the company’s environmental compliance officer, and improperly preparing ships ahead of visits by a court-appointed monitor.

The probation officer also cited a December 2018 incident, when monitors notified the Carnival Elation environmental officer that plastic straws, plastic wrap, aluminum butter wrappers, wooden stir sticks and other items were mixed in with food waste, and that discharging it combined would be illegal. Despite that warning, the ship dumped the combined food waste and plastics into Bahamian waters on Dec. 16, 2018.

In addition to the incidents cited by the judge in court Wednesday, the court-appointed monitor has found hundreds of environmental violations on ships across Carnival Corp.’s nine cruise lines during the company’s first two years on probation.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom