Koh Tao Diving Quality (for example vs Anilao or PG)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IS THERE ANYPLACE IN THAILAND WITH THE QUALITY OF DIVING LIKE ANILAO OR PG?
I HAVE BEEN MULTIPLE TIMES OVER THE YEARS TO SIMILAN LIVEABOARD AND THE QUALITY OF THE DIVING JUST NO LONGER SEEMS TO BE THERE AROUND SIMILANS/ETC.
VERY LITTLE TO SEE EXCEPT DAY TRIPPERS.

Koh Lanta? Others will suggest it, I've been as a non-diving backpacker about 20 years ago, but since have to dive there. Nice island back then don't know how it is now.

I have dived Ko Tao, didn't find it enthralling except for the scenery and lots of eye candy. There are some good sites to the south, accessed from there but they are long trips and not done often.

I did a Similian LOB back 13 years ago before the El Nino and at the time I was would rate them as good as PG, Anilao and other good areas in SEA.
I would go back to Thailand any day for a beach trip mixed with a bit of diving, but not for a diving trip, for those I prefer The Phillipines or even more Indonesia.

I forgot, while your there you can add in after getting drunk with others getting cheap certs you can take your chances with getting a STD while smashing.

Wrap it up

Considering a week in Koh Tao and trying to understand quality of reefs / marine life.
Spent 10 days earlier this year between Anilao and PG which was amazing.
How does Koh Tao compare especially for January.
Thanks.

Is there a reason that you're stuck on Koh Tao or Thailand instead of Indonesia?

I would go back to Thailand any day for a beach trip mixed with a bit of diving, but not for a diving trip, for those I prefer The Phillipines or even more Indonesia.

Yep, I'd agree with this. Thailand is hard to beat for nice beaches, good food and some relaxed diving;
Tanote Bay was great for us with two young kids. The bay is safe for kids to swim and my 6 year got to see baby black tipped reef sharks (I think this was his favourite thing... ever!), titan trigger fish (luckily not grumpy ones), huge schools of small fish etc.
The diving was better than I expected (I had low expectations, and I'm fairly easily pleased) and being on the east we avoided the mad crowds. Not the place to go if you want night-life though - you want Sairee beach for that.
I've had some of my favourite dives on the Andaman side of Thailand.
We got 3 days of diving in when we stayed on Koh Lanta (there it is!)Feb/Mar 2014 when our eldest was a baby, and we had my parents as babysitters. First dive day the highlight was swimming Leopard sharks (Hin Bida), the next day we saw a Whale Shark (Koh Haa), and two days later we saw Mantas at Hin Muang & Hin Daeng!
Other creatures I've listed in my log book at sites accessed from Koh Lanta & Koh Phi Phi include hawksbill turtles, harlequin shrimp, mantis shrimp, barracuda, lionfish, juv yellow boxfish, morays, golden trevally, giant puffer fish, scorpion fish, Spanish mackerel, titan triggerfish, a variety of nudis, batfish, octopus, lobsters, juv blue-ringed angelfish, black-tipped reef sharks etc. I don't think that's too bad from just a handful of dives.
But having said all that, since diving in Bali & N Sulawesi I would choose Indonesia as an all out dive trip over Thailand.

Just my two bubbles worth.
Cheers,
Rob

Considering a week in Koh Tao and trying to understand quality of reefs / marine life.
Spent 10 days earlier this year between Anilao and PG which was amazing.
How does Koh Tao compare especially for January.
Thanks.
There are two good sites: Chumphon pinnacle and Sail Rock, the rest is very very ordinary.
But if you are after some relaxing dives and Thai food then Koh Tao is hard to beat. Master Divers is my suggestion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom