Thermalution Heated Vests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Grant! Over the next few days, I'll definitely think about buying used versus new. Honestly, I tend to be a little weird about certain used gear items, but the cost savings can't be denied.

Funny, when I first signed up to take my open water class, I bought a new 7mm wetsuit, boots, hood, etc. before I had even been in the pool. They tried to talk me out of it in case diving wasn't for me, but nope! I really just didn't want to wear the rental stuff after seeing it! :rofl3: In retrospect, that was probably kinda dumb, but thankfully, I LOVED it and never looked back, so it worked out. Phew!

I'm loving the ringing endorsement from you, MrBigfins!! This is exactly how I hope to feel about this vest after my first dive with it in Socorro. :yeahbaby:Heck, I'd love to be able to dive a 3mm in warm climates versus the 5mm. More room in the suitcase for craft beer!

For what it's worth, I've just been listening to these Q&A of Dr. Neal Pollock during a BSAC conference
BSAC 2019 Conference: Drs. Neal Pollock & Simon Mitchell (and more)

about 14 minutes into the Q&A, Dr. Pollock expresses his opinion that he is opposed to active heating, because of increased decompression stress in his view / opinion / research. My bottom line suggestion is to stay a little further "away" from your NDL's and/or use a more conservative GF if you are using active heating.

For any of you who might be new to Dr. Pollock, he worked for DAN for a long time before relocating a year or so ago to Universite Laval in Quebec City. He's pretty highly regarded and is a very effective presenter.

I'm very happy with mine. I'm a real wimp with diving in cold water. I toughen up a bit when my Russian wife makes me swim in cold water with her though (then I never turn it on). But left to my own devices, I use it after 30 minutes in 50 degree water or below.

I sent you a PM. I have loved my thermalution for wet and dry diving. It's like a water heater inside your suit - I dive cold fresh water 100% of the time. Once I finally got a good drysuit - I've used the thermalution under it but based on longer run times and using a can light I am selling. I would highly recommend the unit to anyone, if you're interested it's a yellow plus size medium. Priced competitive for used gear but well taken care of

I love my Thermalution too. I wear under a 7mil wetsuit in RI all summer, so toasty!
The decompression i have read is that you want to just stay warm throughout Dive, as being too cold leads to bends issues.
I bought a second one when my first one with old style controller stopped working reliably. Magnetic controllers are better.

For what it's worth, I've just been listening to these Q&A of Dr. Neal Pollock during a BSAC conference
BSAC 2019 Conference: Drs. Neal Pollock & Simon Mitchell (and more)

about 14 minutes into the Q&A, Dr. Pollock expresses his opinion that he is opposed to active heating, because of increased decompression stress in his view / opinion / research. My bottom line suggestion is to stay a little further "away" from your NDL's and/or use a more conservative GF if you are using active heating.

For any of you who might be new to Dr. Pollock, he worked for DAN for a long time before relocating a year or so ago to Universite Laval in Quebec City. He's pretty highly regarded and is a very effective presenter.

As someone who had the skin bends before, I will definitely take that into consideration! Since that happened, I've definitely taken a much more conservative approach to my diving (not that I was a "cowboy" before or anything).

I know a number of people who use them tech diving here on the Great Lakes. They love them and have been using them for at least several years. I’m saving up for the good $800 one as I’m doing my tech class.

Several of the guys I dove with in Tobermory this summer had them and loved them. Meanwhile, after multiple dives (in one day) in 41F, even with heavy thermals and dry gloves, I was chilled.

if I wasn’t going tech, I wouldn’t be spending the money.

I second the idea of a hooded vest - neoprene probably, whether you get thermolution or not. Easy to pack insurance and really adds to your warmth.

I saw a used one Facebook, and purchased it. Going to see if it helps keep the chills off during the long cave dives.

Back
Top Bottom