Pondering upgrading from US Divers Arctic Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Viper12161

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey All,

I am currently using a US Divers Arctic Reg. Just got certified last year, and got this off a friend, He gave me the reg when I bought his tank. Had it serviced in July and put 8 dives on it. Haven't had any issues with it, but was told by a few folks that I should think about getting something a bit newer down the road Can't say I know enough at this point to notice a difference in things, however, I would assume newer technology and materials versus stuff from 20+ years ago probably has some advantages. The reg set I am looking to get would be a Scubapro MK25 EVO DIN 300/S620 combo. Now I'm just trying to figure out benefits of upgrading vs cost. Primarily diving in New England salt water with temps 50-70 degrees and depths of about 20-50 feet, though I am thinking of getting AOW down the road. Any thoughts or info greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!!

Additional question...my tank is a steel 120 with a DIN connection. If I go with a new reg, should I get a 1st stage setup for DIN, or get a yolk setup and get a new valve for my tank?

Now I'm just trying to figure out benefits of upgrading vs cost.
My situation is a bit similar. I have been diving with a US Divers Conshelf 21 for the past 25 years (just got it serviced first time ever!!). When I told my local dive shop I wanted to buy a new regulator they asked me why specially when they looked at me reg and found it in an overall excellent shape (no more than 400 dives total). But I bought a new reg anyway only because 1. I wanted a new toy and 2. had a lot of spare cash. So I am afraid benefits vs cost argument is very weak or nonexistent.

I am no expert on DIN/yoke but I imagine DIN is the choice for technical divers, plus it is a must if working with higher pressure tanks. I am a recreational diver and travel to remote places around the world for diving and I see majority of yokes in use. If you have a DIN valve you can always purchase the converter to make it compatible with yoke valve.

Yeah, this reg has MAYBE 20 dives on it. He had just gotten it, dove a few times with it and then stopped diving. In storage after that.

if you have a 3500 psi tank, you can only use 7/8 DIN. the arctic 1st stage is a sealed diaphragm, reliable and well performing.

you could just look for a balanced 2nd upgrade like an older scubapro 156/g250 2nd stage, apeks/zeagle 2nds, or even the legend glacia that replaced the arctic in the aqualung lineup.

if you have a 3500 psi tank, you can only use 7/8 DIN. the arctic 1st stage is a sealed diaphragm, reliable and well performing.

you could just look for a balanced 2nd upgrade like an older scubapro 156/g250 2nd stage, apeks/zeagle 2nds, or even the legend glacia that replaced the arctic in the aqualung lineup.

Can I mix 1st and second stages? Like keep my existing Arctic 1st stage and then just get S620TI? Would the MK25 EVO DIN 300 work on my tank if I decided to upgrade both stages? It is a 3500psi tank.

Thanks!!

Thanks, I will have to check them out. I've been researching the S620TI quite a bit and really like it. Will have to go check out my LDS and see if they have on I can put my hands on. I'll see if they have the others as well.

Yeah, this reg has MAYBE 20 dives on it. He had just gotten it, dove a few times with it and then stopped diving. In storage after that.

I am no expert on DIN/yoke but I imagine DIN is the choice for technical divers, plus it is a must if working with higher pressure tanks. I am a recreational diver and travel to remote places around the world for diving and I see majority of yokes in use. If you have a DIN valve you can always purchase the converter to make it compatible with yoke valve.

Agreed. And yoke is the choice of many traveling divers.

I would not base my choice of valve connection on a tank I was given but instead what you will be doing.

N

Not sure how the recent servicing was done, but Aqualung US does not have service kits for the Arctic 2nd stage anymore. I think I checked part by part a few months back and found that all but two of the "replace at overhaul" parts were available ala carte from Aqualung or included in other kits, but I am curious how they matched the parts for the service on your unit. (Or maybe they still had old kits.)

Back
Top Bottom