Diving with Platelet disorders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey,
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, im new here and just looking for some advice.
Im new to diving and thoroughly enjoying it. Its always been something iv been interested in doing.
Since i also weld, i was hoping to eventually seek employment as an underwater welder.

However, i have idiopathic thrombocytopenia since i was 14, im 26 now. This is a platelet or clotting disorder, so when platelet numbers should be about 140 (if i remember rightly?) mine have been stable ish around 70 or 80 since i was a teen. I play rugby and other contact sports and i do bruise a bit more than most, but its never been an issue with bleeding. Iv never needed any treatment, i just have my levels checked every 6 months or so.

Im wondering if this is going to be a problem with recreational diving? And if underwater welding will even be an option for me?
I saw a post similar to this on here so if there are any medics who would have some insight into this it would be brilliant!

I have von willebrands which is another platelet disorder. No issue for recreational/technical diving and I've been cleared by diving physicians. Not sure about commercial. @Akimbo may know better, but your best bet is to contact @Duke Dive Medicine or DAN

Since i also weld, i was hoping to eventually seek employment as an underwater welder.

You might find the Commercial Divers forum interesting.

your best bet is to contact @Duke Dive Medicine or DAN

I concur, this disorder is outside my experience. It should be noted that there may be some variations in medical clearance requirements by jurisdiction. A local commercial diving school might also be able to steer you in the right direction.

PM sent.

DDM's PM will be more beneficial, I'm sure, but I am in the same boat as you (no pun intended). My numbers are slightly higher, typically in the 110s-120s, but stable, and I don't have any clinical complications. Who knows how long this has been going on - it wasn't identified until I was hit by a car while biking in my 30s, but I've had bad nosebleeds seemingly randomly since I was a child. My doctor has been confident in signing off on my physical every year, he just likes to do a CBC and keep an eye on my platelets.

You are right, platelet count should be between 140 and 600.

As far as diving in a professional capacity goes, that's probably up to you, your doctor, and your employer. Anecdotally, I'm a dive master, working towards instructor.

Agree with statement that its best to contact DAN.
I am glad that you are effectively going around enjoying your life without major bleeding issues. Non-traumatic sports like scuba diving is in my opinion not a absolute contraindication to diving with your condition.

Let us know what DAN tells you so others can benefit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom