NAUI OW diver, and downside to doing Nitrox thru PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It also has to be poorly mimeographed, slightly skewed to the right, with that blue ink staining the hands.

I miss that . . .

It also has to be poorly mimeographed, slightly skewed to the right, with that blue ink staining the hands.

I miss that . . .
And the smell of that mimeograph ink? Heavenly! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Oh, that's the stuff . . .

Not sure I really want to get into the business of defending PADI, but with an organization as large as theirs, what's one good way to make sure that your students actually get taught the material? Teach it yourself, electronically, and test as you go, then test at the end, then have the instructor test them and see what they retained.
The good instructors resent it. The lousy instructors coast. But at least it's defensible.
Now, I've been trying repeatedly to get PADI to data mine all those quizzes, and tell me which questions my students struggled with, before they show up for class. Alas, it's apparently not worth their effort to help me be a better instructor. I get a report that says "P" and a score, but nothing about what they missed.
With today's crop of learners, I can't say their approach is wrong. Even if all the pictures and "busyness" on the e-Learning pages is distracting as hell to an old fashioned student like me.

Funny you should say that. For OW, SSI's (no longer teach for that agency but I must give them props) materials are so good, I didn't have to teach any theory. The students came in and just got it. Never seen that before or since. More perfect scores, no one failing. I was amazed. But I can see how it can make an instructor lazy in the case where students may need help in certain areas.

I really wished OW was augmented by all agencies to include nitrox. It isn't rocket science. It is the most common con ed course (so I've been told). There just isn't that much to it, but it is critical that people do get some fundamentals in order to not kill themselves. One of the reasons I'd like to see this in open water is to instill the discipline in all students to check cylinder contents before diving.

I really wished OW was augmented by all agencies to include nitrox. It isn't rocket science. It is the most common con ed course (so I've been told). There just isn't that much to it, but it is critical that people do get some fundamentals in order to not kill themselves. One of the reasons I'd like to see this in open water is to instill the discipline in all students to check cylinder contents before diving.

95% of all the course taught at my shop are OW/Nitrox, if you come to us with OW, well I up-sell you AOW/Nitrox. I went though the price guide, it cuts into our overhead a little, but we are happier doing it this way.

Back
Top Bottom