Removing salt and chlorine from water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sodium thiosulfate and sodium metabisulfite will remove chlorine at a 0.5 ppm to 1 ppm chlorine ratio.
We use this in aquaculture after disinfecting water to remove residual chlorine.
At greater than 0.5 to 1, shrimp larvae get stressed. For your purpose, just chunk in a few grams per gallon (errr liter? Depending on if you're Amurcin)

I am assuming this depends on the size/quality of the RO unit? And also residential vs commercial.

DW
Three wasted gallons for each RO gallon is extremely conservative, reflecting the most efficient commercial units. Home units typically waste four gallons for each gallon of RO water. People often use the waste water for things like lawn care, though it will have a higher concentration of salts and other material. I had an excellent unit when I maintained a reef aquarium, and it operated on a 4 to 1 ratio.

Sodium thiosulfate and sodium metabisulfite will remove chlorine at a 0.5 ppm to 1 ppm chlorine ratio.
We use this in aquaculture after disinfecting water to remove residual chlorine.
At greater than 0.5 to 1, shrimp larvae get stressed. For your purpose, just chunk in a few grams per gallon (errr liter? Depending on if you're Amurcin)
Hydrosulfite salts will also bind the ammonia sometimes found in tap water.

why do you have to dip rinse when you can hose the gear off??? Isnt there a point where conservation becomes an over concern. Is that cure worse than the problem? As mentioned by others reuse the water as a sort of pre rinse process and then do a final hose rinse.

Three wasted gallons for each RO gallon is extremely conservative, reflecting the most efficient commercial units. Home units typically waste four gallons for each gallon of RO water. People often use the waste water for things like lawn care, though it will have a higher concentration of salts and other material. I had an excellent unit when I maintained a reef aquarium, and it operated on a 4 to 1 ratio.

Not sure I buy all of that. I am not at work right now, but if memory serves, we get approximately a 75% recovery running through our RO unit. I will check the numbers and do the math when I get there.

DW

Not sure I buy all of that. I am not at work right now, but if memory serves, we get approximately a 75% recovery running through our RO unit. I will check the numbers and do the math when I get there.

DW
I'm no expert, but I think a 75% loss is more likely.

I'm no expert, but I think a 75% loss is more likely.

I am no expert, either. Still new to the game. I will check the meters (we have separate meters for feed, product, reject, and brine) and report back. I will also check with my Dad, he ran ROPU units for years. Obviously different systems, but might be interesting to see the comparisons.

DW

The best and most practical suggestion was to use the gear wash water to flush the toilet. That really does make a lot of sense if someone is trying to minimize their footprint.

Well, plans got changed instead of using the piping already there for just a rinse station. I'm now adding more plumbing walls etc.... landlord wants a permanent full shower and bathtub. This is going to be fun. But hey I retired young and I'm bored.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom