Checkout dives are in Panama City Beach next weekend. Advice for a newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cogito222

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm doing my checkout dives in Panama City Beach next weekend. My brother lives there so I can stay for free. I think we are wearing 5mm (rental). I have my own regs (Z3 and Z2 octo), Scubapro mask, Scubapro fins/snorkel, and booties. I'll rent the rest down there.

I want to do well and get my card. Advice for a newbie?

I'm doing my checkout dives in Panama City Beach next weekend. My brother lives there so I can stay for free. I think we are wearing 5mm (rental). I have my own regs (Z3 and Z2 octo), Scubapro mask, Scubapro fins/snorkel, and booties. I'll rent the rest down there.

You might be cold in a 5 mil scuba suit. Water is around mid to low 60's.

Err..isn’t Panama City right by the equator? 5mm might be serious overkill.

Upper Gulf Coast of Florida. I'm further south in Tampa Bay and the water is 65°. I'd dive a 5 mil freedive open cell suit, but not a scuba suit, and certainly not a rental one at that.

Google Maps

At least, get a head cap or hood. You lose a lot of heat through your head.

Am curious, Shore dives for the checkout dives? In the Gulf? Where? Or a boat charter?

Humble Warrior--Panama City, Panama is right on the Pacific.

Relax, take a few deep breathe and then ENJOY the experience! No really, as they say, you’ll never pass this way again.....Enjoy the experience!

I am with @flyboy08 : relax and enjoy as much of it as you can. Don‘t stress.
If you do have trouble with something during the first dive ask for feedback, advise... you still are allowed to improve... If you want to get a question answered before the first dive, ask it...

Back
Top Bottom