Truth Aquatics suspending operations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have heard today that Truth is resuming operations after installing a fire suppression system on the boats and coating all surfaces with fire retardant, improving the emergency escape hatch, and requiring that battery charging can only be done when it can be supervised (until everyone goes to bed).

We have heard today that Truth is resuming operations after installing a fire suppression system on the boats and coating all surfaces with fire retardant, improving the emergency escape hatch, and requiring that battery charging can only be done when it can be supervised (until everyone goes to bed).
I wish them success. It is going to be a hard shadow to shake. I would use them.

I guess certification follows next to resume operations as a charter vessel, or was that never rescinded for the other vessels in their fleet?

The vessels already passed certification, the suspension of service and changes made were instituted by Truth Aquatics, not by any change in regulations. My understanding is that the USCG may change regulations when the cause of the fire is determined, if deemed necessary.

Also, for those who don't know, the two remaining dive boats, Truth and Vision, are not sister ships, and therefore have different layouts even though overall are similar.

Bob

The vessels already passed certification, the suspension of service and changes made were instituted by Truth Aquatics, not by any change in regulations. My understanding is that the USCG may change regulations when the cause of the fire is determined, if deemed necessary.

Also, for those who don't know, the two remaining dive boats, Truth and Vision, are not sister ships, and therefore have different layouts even though overall are similar.

Bob
The Truth and the Peace are siblings believe it or not. They were built in SB side by side in the same yard and completed in 1978.
The Vision is 20’ longer than the Truth and Peace.

The Truth and the Peace are siblings believe it or not. They were built in SB side by side in the same yard and completed in 1978.

Yeah, I could tell by the build, but the Peace is my favorite.

Bob

Bob
That original certification has to be suspect as the fully compliant Conception burnt to the waterline with all below decks perishing, so the standards are worthless in that respect. Speed of egress from the emergency hatch has to be improved as a sinking boat through some other cause could take many people down with it. A boat described as a death trap is going to need some changes or an axe provided to chop your way out if the vessel is going down.

That original certification has to be suspect as the fully compliant Conception burnt to the waterline with all below decks perishing, so the standards are worthless in that respect. Speed of egress from the emergency hatch has to be improved as a sinking boat through some other cause could take many people down with it. A boat described as a death trap is going to need some changes or an axe provided to chop your way out if the vessel is going down.

The certification is determined by the USCG, any changes to the certification have to be made by the USCG. They have issued a bulletin, found in the Conception thread, but have not made any regulation changes, and probably won't until there is cause found, even then it may not change, it would depend on the cause.

Truth Aquatics has made some of the changes you mentioned, however they were under no legal requirement to do so. These regulations concern, I would guess, hundreds of small commercial dive and fishing boats throughout the US. I don't know how many others have done anything.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom