REEF SEEKERS DIVE CO. - DECEMBER NEWSLETTER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Here's the December, 2019, issue of the Reef Seekers newsletter, which is being sent as a 182KB PDF file of four pages. Just click on it to open it or download it.

You can also access the newsletter through our website simply by using this link:
http://www.reefseekers.com/newsletter.html. Read it on-line or print out a copy for yourself. In either case, you'll need a copy of Acrobat Reader, which comes pre-loaded on most computers. However if you don't have it, or don't have the latest version, you can obtain a free copy by going to this site ( http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html ) and following the on-screen prompts.

If you have any comments, thoughts, concerns, etc., about anything you read, please don't hesitate to e-mail me. Thanks for diving with Reef Seekers.

- Ken (for all the gang here at Reef Seekers Dive Co.)

Attachments

• 1219NL.pdf
    181.7 KB · Views: 110
Actually we do hear of lithium ion batteries catching fire elsewhere. Cell phones, especially. Even on planes (which is why the FAA requires them to be in carry-on rather than checked baggage). I often wondered about them when I flew with my four Solas

As usual, Ken, your newsletter is a good read. Regarding your commentary on the Conception fire...

Yes, Dr. Bill is correct. There have been numerous instances of lithium ion rechargeable batteries catching fire. Apple has had issues with these types of batteries used in iPhones and their line of notebook computers. While the batteries Apple uses are probably outsourced, I doubt they're using are low grade batteries.

For a while there were numerous reports of lithium ion batteries catching fire and/or exploding. I'm not sure if we're not seeing reports about these issues as frequently because the number of incidents has decreased or if incidents were happening so routinely that the news media has just moved-on to bigger stories.

Since I'm usually flying with camera gear, I've been asked by the Homeland Security people about whether or not I'm packing lithium ion rechargeable batteries. As Dr. Bill noted, lithium ion batteries are permitted in carry-on bags, but not in checked baggage. Since Ikelite stopped making strobe battery packs with lithium ion batteries, only my computer and cell phone use lithium ions.

Back
Top Bottom