Shallow sites (and sights)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Manfrenjensenden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been advised to limit dive depths to ~10m for an upcoming trip to Bonaire, with the shallower the better. What dive sites would people recommend for those trying to limit depth? Snorkeling depth is great too.

I've been advised to limit dive depths to ~10m for an upcoming trip to Bonaire, with the shallower the better. What dive sites would people recommend for those trying to limit depth? Snorkeling depth is great too.
Most of the northern sites, from Front Porch and on north, plus Klein, have quite good shallows out to 30-35 feet.
Rappel and Country Gardens would be two top recommendations.
Salt Pier, of course. But most of the southern sites are not as good in the shallows.

The STINAPA map shows snorkeling sites.

If you have a medical form that shows restriction to 10m, don't show it to anyone. it is likely to be treated as a "don't dive at all" statement. For example, the PADI Instructor Manual says this about medical forms for training:
A “yes” response on the PADI Medical Statement’s “Divers Medical Questionnaire” section requires written clearance to dive, without restrictions or conditions, from a physician as a prerequisite to in-water activities. This clearance is valid for one year.
I marked the critical part in red.

Hi,

The Reef Smart Guide to Bonaire (Popple, Wagner & McDougall, 2018) that I have on my Kindle has excellent snorkeling-depth descriptions of all the dive sites. My wife and alternated between dives and snorkeling during our trip, and found it very useful in planning. There is a nice spiral bound version I have seen for sale in Bonaire.

Regards,

Johncn

Pink Beach, Bari Reef, Invisibles, Something Special, Salt Pier, Cliff to name a few. Every shore site I've been to on the west side of Bonaire have the ability to do 10m dives and still see stuff. The Reef Smart Guide is a good suggestion or search the site on here. There have been many write ups about the shore dives on the Board.

Enjoy as Bonaire is a very special place.

Definitely Salt Pier - the first few structures are really shallow and encrusted. IIIRC the first one is 15' and there's probably 1-2 more mostly above 30'.

A lot of south Bari Reef is really shallow like 10'
or less where the old resrt walls were pushed into the watter. Some of it is just big slabs of coral covered concrete but I saw a Batfish there once - even the Naturalist thought I was wrong till I showed him the video.
There's new construction there plus Coco Beach Club but if you park in the very south end of Sand Dollars lot, you could walk across the short width of Den Laman condos and be right there. Or if getting tankss from Dive Friends use their stairs. the area is about 100' south.

IDK but I think the top of Cliff would be in your range.

Rappel also, head into the cliff. the wave rebound makes for some god life - boat dive.

Down south past Salt City there's a stretch of 4-5 sites where the reef starts at 20' - Inivibles. Tori's, Pink Beach(25'), White Slave. Margate Bay. Then it gets deeper.

You can probably dive the top of the reef at most of the sites. My DC starts the safety stop at 20' and usually clears before we start back across the sand.

The rubble in the shallows of Something Special, Front Porch, Yellow Submarine, and Bari would be great for you. Lots of see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom