Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't look like anything a normal diver would want to try more than once.
exhaust valve located middle of the chest, intake valve on the front of the left thigh and no warm collar option.
looks like a drysuit designed by a committee of people whe have never seen water othen than as ice cubes in their bourbon n cokes. The socks are certainly very comfortable for walking over a styrofoam floor, and painfull for walking over anything hard, like a pebble beach.
30 years ago the US army in europe had DUI CF200s for the divers in their pontoon bridging units, unfortunately once bought they stayed in stock for at least 10 years past the date where seals no longer sealed and zippers had started to leak.
Military dive gear usually was state of the art, 20 years before the military got it. If I wanted something to dive well, I'd look elsewhere.

Michael
What about durabilty?
And what is special in them then?

Are the ones for the Seals limited to a certain depth, given that they dive to maximum 6-10m on a Oxy rebreather
I do not think that Seal operations are limited to such low range of depths... I have no insider info on US Seals, but I know for sure that Italian Seals (COMSUBIN) use a special Caimano-IV SC rebreather, which, albeit normally used in pure oxygen and CC, can also be operated with Nitrox SC rear-mounted cylinders, allowing them to operate down to 50m (depending on the O2 concentration and recycling rate):
SIEL Advanced Sea System
Regarding the dry suit (which Comsubin do not use often, they prefer more stretchy suits), here is what is manufactured here in Italy for Nato troops:
http://www.divesystem.com/en/dry-suits/44-solo-shipboarding-nato-edition.html
solo-shipboarding-nato-edition.jpg

Good for diving in a submerged forest.

exactly what i was thinking

You might or might not be able to get military or public service drysuits. One of my local shops can't get them unless they have paperwork from the agency requesting them to show the manufacturer.

Anything that is "uniquely" military is probably going to have some differences in features/configurations, and/or some trade-off on the build. No one is just reserving a more durable material for military, if it would also be suitable for recreational. More durable may also mean heavier, less flexible/comfortable, more expensive, etc. They have different needs and different priorities.

And sometimes, a military version may actually just be an older version that has been since improved, but never tested and approved for the new version, so the old one sticks around for that market. (For instance, the Mares Navy II that still uses the older 2nd stage seat, even though the newer version is more durable.)

Reactions: Zef
most militaryy gear is built by the lowest bidder

most militaryy gear is built by the lowest bidder

Only on big purchases. The little stuff is still being bought with a purchase order, like needing a new bullet proof car for a new general officer slot in a US command in Germany they just go out and order a Mercedes S class Guardian sedan including run-flat-tires which will be delivered a few months later, often with enough legal German license plates that they can go a couple of weeks without using the same plates twice.
No idea how good the armour really is, I know it'll defeat 7.62x51 Nato AP and won't defeat exSoviet RPG7 rounds but have no idea if it is good against 50cal AP and 13.2mm AP rounds, but trying to keep the car under a quarter million Euros you can't have everything.

Michael

Canadian military salvage/clearance divers use Fusion suits, formerly made by White's, now Aqualung. The closest civilian model would be a Fusion Bullet.

Canadian military salvage/clearance divers use Fusion suits, formerly made by White's, now Aqualung. The closest civilian model would be a Fusion Bullet.
If you don't mind the added weight and the excess drying time, there is also an Apeks branded Fusion with a Kevlar skin instead of the Bullet, Tech, or Sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom