good fins for wetsuit diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

may 2020 red sea
when I did the red sea this year Jan 2019 i took my drysuit and just wore t shirt and boxers underneath but these 2 trips will be much warmer. I have a 3/2 mm wetsuit Im going to take but Im pretty sure ill be able to get away with just a rash guard.

by the way, you’re probably aware but water temperature in the Red Sea in May is usually around 23-25c so you may find a 3mm wetsuit not enough on its own?
We were in Marsa Alam in April this year with temps of 22-23c and my 5mm was ok but I added a lavacore vest & hood after the 1st dives of the day. On one of the days we had a couple of guys in our group wearing in 3mm shortys (for some reason) and they were really suffering!!

For me it depends on the temperature of the water and the type of diving. In general I prefer my split fins for cold water or situations where I am pushing a lot of gear. If the water is warm or I am diving a more streamlined setup I go with my freediving fins (the exact pair varies based, again, off the water temperature and conditions).
I by far prefer the freediving fins overall for power and comfort, but because I can't wear a hard boot or thick neoprene socks with them, it limits their usefulness. Freediving fins are also really not good for certain dives so if you are going to be going in wrecks or areas with a high chance of silting out, I'd skip them and go with something shorter.
That said, they've definitely improved my air consumption rate and my dives now last on average twice as long as when I do the same dive with split or shorter fins. I also don't have the leg cramping I get with other fin types.

I'm going to differ a bit. I have some 5mm neoprene socks that I put on with my drysuit shoes when using my wetsuit. XL Deep Six Eddys for me.

Dive Rite XTs for me. Before I got these XTs I had the Deep 6 Eddys. Still will occasionally use them but I much prefer the XTs, I get a lot of power out of them and feel they helicopter turn better.

+ 1 for scubapro go sport. I had bought them for a trip, but found I prefer them over the twin jet max I had been using for local diving. A nice lightweight fin.

SP Jets (limited edition grey camo - cool factor!). For warm water travel, I went down in size (and up in spring strap length), and use a wet shoe with a very thin sole for the smaller foot pocket. They are "heavy", but I really like them.
DSC_2951Turtle & Ray Productions Curacao.jpg

I used to use ForceFin Pro because they traveled so easy, but really only worked with scissor kicks... I wanted modest blade size, and ended up with these.

YMMV

Deep Six Eddy fins
Another vote for deep6 eddy here.

I use Diverite XT's when dry, Deep6 Eddy wet.

The diverites are quite negatively buoyant which makes them sucktacular for wetsuit diving. Deep6 are slightly positive, so good for wetsuit diving.

I used mares x-stream for a while, but after my third pair I gave up. They're just so darn fragile, they come apart where the plastic and rubber are glued together. I think it's a design flaw. They work okay until they come apart. X-stream are slightly positive.

When I am boat diving only in warm water I use a full foot fin. My favorite is Mares Avanti Quattro they are great in current as well.
I have used a avanti fins since the 80s, excellent fin. I use a 5mm booty (never had a problem with feet getting too warm). Pocket tends to be a little tight side to side, but that is only a PIA putting on and off.

Ginormous fins on a reef are not good. They will bash the crap out of the reef and bottom. It’s one thing if you are free diving, but if you are on scuba, leave those bad boys at home.
Nope. You just have to get used to the extra length. I do not bash coral.
And if anything, free dive spearing gets one in closer among the corals as laying down and hiding is the only way to get close to smart fish species.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom