Atomic Cobalt Quick Disconnect O-Ring Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool. Robert - which of the o-ring sizes you mention is for the central spine in the locking assembly (the only o-ring accessible without taking it apart)? I'd like to get some as going through Atomic is slooooooooooooooow to say the least. Thanks!

The one that you see when you disconnect your computer is the 003 90. It is not hard to disassemble the QD and that o-ring is much easier to service with it disassembled. If you pull the boot down from the QD you will see how to remove the QD assembly from the hose, it works out that the QD assembly will work with most HP hoses as it has standard threads and swivel o-ring which is the other 003 90. The HP swivel o-rings are another common point of failure. After you remove it from the hose if you screw the lock ring all the way out you will see the other wrench surface that you use to unscrew the 2 halves which will give you access to all the other O-rings to service. The central spine can then be pushed out of the housing and you will see the total of 3 o-ring on that part, the 2 metric sized o-rings and the one that you see when he computer is disconnected. Be careful there is a spring inside that you don't want to lose. You should lubricate all the O-rings except the 009 it should not be lubricated.

I've done this several times in the field rather than using a new hose (which I buy once or twice a year). Put one of the replacement o-rings (I got them through Atomic from my dive shop) on the jack of the Atomic mains charger. Push it all the way to the end. Wrap two turns of thin Scotch tape on the end, with about 3-4mm off the end. Push the o-ring onto the tape. Put the 3-4mm of tape onto the central spine inside the locking assembly. Carefully slide the o-ring down on the central spine until it's off the tape. Now gently push the o-ring into the groove. Did it once in Indonesia a few years ago and just did it right now in Singapore before heading to Male for a dive trip. Given how twitchy the Cobalts have been in the past, my wife and I carry a spare Cobalt 2 each and 3-4 spare hoses. Hope this helps someone.

Paul, really like your tip here for field repairs on the QD. I have put up a Manufacturer's support forum here for Cobalt computers under Ocean Concepts (we are the developers of the Cobalt's electronics and firmware, but not of the case or QD):
Ocean Concepts
I did this since Atomic / Huish Outdoors stopped supporting all their ScubaBoard forums.
I'd like to include this tip there, or better yet have you post it.

Thank you for your reply, I have resolved this issue. I have been able to source all the O-rings I needed from "the o-ring store" www.theoringstore.com. The O-rings you need are Qnty 2 size 003 90 durometer, Qnty 1 size 009 70 durometer, Qnty 1 size 012 70 durometer, and the 2 small inner O-rings are metric size 1.0mm CS x 2.5mm ID 70 durometer. I did get the above tool kit listed in my first post which really helped to get the small O-rings on and protect the size 012 O-ring from the threads during the install. Instead of using tape I installed the 3 smaller O-rings in an outer to inner order that allowed the O-ring to slide over the O-ring already installed. I will keep the tape method in mind next time. I have been diving using these new O-rings since August without any issues.

Robert- would also like to include your information on that forum- thanks for tracking down the O-ring specs.

-Ron

Ron,
Feel free to do that, always great to hear from you. You provide great support for the Cobalt and have been a big help to me in the past. I hope that Atomic continues to produce top quality dive gear, I really like their regulators and the Cobalt, I have the Cobalt 1 and other than having the magnet issue which you helped me resolve it has been rock solid.

Robert

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see a message that there was an update. I don't see any reason that Fluorocarbon O-ring would not work. Typically the Buna-N O-rings are used in most cases for SCUBA. I used Buna-N on my QD maintenance and had good luck with them "AS568-003 B90 (NBR) Buna-N Nitrile 90 Duro O-Ring". If you already purchase the Fluorocarbon o-rings I would probably use them them, they actually look like they are higher quality than the Buna-N. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom