Which Quick release tank bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a set of Apeks (Aqualung) QD that I put on my aluminum freedom plate. I have played around in the pool with 80s and 100s last week and didn’t notice any significant loosening. But to be honest I wasn’t really paying too much attention. I’m leaving for the Caymans on Sunday and will be diving this setup. I’ll post what I think of them next week.

Also if you read thru the
Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!
thread @Akimbo modified the highland straps by cutting down one side of the metal clasp. There is a little step by step guide on the first page.

A quick illustration
BF1719AD-1F87-4216-B8ED-A1F4C9970F39.jpeg
2A502558-F143-4736-BAE2-37C4B356483F.jpeg

The QR allows the tank to be set 80% into position before a short slide to final position and clamped down. I think my QR is Oxy and the top look like one of the other options in your second link, I like it because it’s heavy and the thick rubber pad it cams against works great to keep it locked.
F4EEFBEB-2E4A-421A-94AB-6DE7844A28C8.jpeg
BE9DBB3B-9E38-411F-8BB0-E82EDA5B8589.jpeg

This is the best portable dive table around, $50 at Costco, it pops open and once locked will take a load of weight. Once I load the weights I jut stand the rig up, sit on the corner and put it on. My other option is my pick up but the Prius gets 3x the mileage and hold all the gear for two cold water divers including two of these tables and two folding chairs.
ED8F5972-D8D6-4115-A17C-EB8A3E5F9FC7.jpeg
711B2F25-20A6-446D-82EF-ECBE9BD3A888.jpeg
79960496-59B5-4817-A076-76C8D6BC67D7.jpeg

Too heavy for you? Maybe a stupid question, but do you have any integrated weights in the BC?
I don't, I just have very crappy wrists, arms, and upper torso strength. It's one of the adjustments I have to make since becoming disabled. i can still do most things, just in an insurmountable amount of pain and annoyance.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably start with @Marie13 advice to remove weights, then do a regular camband on top and a qr on bottom. That would give you a lighter assembly that you only have to lift half way over the tank, a properly adjusted cam band up top will hold it (even loose) well enough to do the lower qr band
That's @lexvil 's method and what has been suggested by a few. It will probably be my last resort!

OP...the reason to go with two cam straps is that it is far less likely your tank will slip out if one strap is not secured straight across. There was a discussion about this on SB a long time ago where the testing showed that with 2 straps even if both were loose the tank was unlikely to fall out.

I suppose you can use a weight belt as the second strap but you are unlikely to get the strap as tight as a cam strap can be....and standard weight belt buckles do wear and when they do the belt slips...it will only be a matter of time before that happens using one as a tank strap....I am not sure why one would use one when there are relatively inexpensive purpose driven products available, but there is nothing wrong with experimenting to find out for yourself what works/doesn't work for you.
I've studied that thread a few times, and decided i wanted the stability of two straps. But i remember the consensus was that it was still more than likely one very good band would be sufficient most of the time. which is why I wondered if I should experiment with a strap + a weight belt.

I guess that's the problem with diving....so many ideas and the only way to find out you like / don't like something is to buy and try. I try to read as much as I can before making a purchase, but cam bands are definitely one of those things you just have to give a shot and see what you like....just like fins.
You and @Zef above are indeed correct that what matters the most is what *works for us* personally, and I'm all about experimenting. I'm very grateful to all the people in this thread for saving me probably tons of trials and errors. I'll take your lessons ahead and try to add what I'll have learned too. I love that we can keep sharing our experiences to avoid being dogmatic about "the-one-true-and-only-method."

I'll test things out next time I'm in the water (in Spring :( too far away!) and circle back to you guys :)

I've heard the same. I somehow also recall @stuartv actually paid the shipping fees for whoever willing to take the highlands :D

I did. It was only maybe 5 bucks. Just paying it was easier than spending time trying to get someone to cough up $5.

This is the best portable dive table around, $50 at Costco, it pops open and once locked will take a load of weight. Once I load the weights I jut stand the rig up, sit on the corner and put it on. My other option is my pick up but the Prius gets 3x the mileage and hold all the gear for two cold water divers including two of these tables and two folding chairs.
View attachment 553403 View attachment 553404 View attachment 553405

I use an older version of this. $40 at Lowe's.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-30-8-in-W-x-31-75-in-H-Plastic-Work-Bench/1000421921

Stupidly, they don't have a picture of it showing that it breaks down and stows totally flat.

It's the perfect height for turning to face away from it and setting a tank (or set of doubles) down onto it. Or standing said tank(s) up and then donning them. I take it any time I'm going to the pool or shore diving with doubles.

I don't, I just have very crappy wrists, arms, and upper torso strength. It's one of the adjustments I have to make since becoming disabled. i can still do most things, just in an insurmountable amount of pain and annoyance.

It actually would probably have been helpful if you had mentioned your limitations in the first post, so we would have known what you were trying to work around. You’d be surprised by the creativity here.

Do you mostly do boat or shore diving?

I use an older version of this. $40 at Lowe's.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-30-8-in-W-x-31-75-in-H-Plastic-Work-Bench/1000421921

Stupidly, they don't have a picture of it showing that it breaks down and stows totally flat.

It's the perfect height for turning to face away from it and setting a tank (or set of doubles) down onto it. Or standing said tank(s) up and then donning them. I take it any time I'm going to the pool or shore diving with doubles.
Not even in the same league as far as ease of use and sturdiness but yours is the standard, until people try one like mine, my buddy had one, I had a really nice aluminum folding table, once I tried his I bought one.

It actually would probably have been helpful if you had mentioned your limitations in the first post, so we would have known what you were trying to work around. You’d be surprised by the creativity here.

Do you mostly do boat or shore diving?
Ohhh right! Because I'm too weak to pick up the tanks comfortably, @lexvil 's method would be too difficult for me as well.

I only boat dive, very tropical, always traveling.

Ohhh right! Because I'm too weak to pick up the tanks comfortably, @lexvil 's method would be too difficult for me as well.

I only boat dive, very tropical, always traveling.

Well, there’s your problem solved! Explain and request help from the boat crew. Tip extra. If you can’t handle the tanks, you can’t handle the tanks. I know my own limitations and when to ask for help on the boat.

Back
Top Bottom