Shearwater Computer Depth/Pressure Sensor Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Macan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have a Shearwater Petrel 2 and the Depth/Pressure Sensor failed. It reads almost 3.3 feet (1 meter) deeper than actual depth when compared to other computers or analog gauges. Also, it won’t shut off - it turns ON by itself immediately after manually turning it off. According to SW, I need to pay US$ 176 to have the sensor changed! That’s 20% of a brand new unit!

Needless to say, it’s a big disappointment that the pressure sensor on a SW unit failed and it cost so much to have it repaired. I have had several dive computers over the years including a 25 year old Suunto Solution (still working) and never had a pressure sensor failure.

My question is, what extra care/preventive maintenance do I need to do to prevent this from happening again. Like most of you, I carefully rinse the computer in fresh water after use, keep it in a dry cool place and treat it like a delicate precision instrument that it is. Is there anything else I need to do?

Yes, send it back to Shearwater. Their service is amazing.They will take care of it.

And don't waste time complaining on this forum. It won't make your computer better nor can you prevent equipment failure unless you drop it. Things like this happen, and with some brands more than others. Pressure sensor failure is very rare in Shearwater computers, but of course, no brand is immune to it.

Hi Macan,

I am sorry to learn about your Petrel 2. I can't answer your question regarding increasing the level of care to eliminate this issue.

I had an Aeris computer do the same thing. It does happen.

How old is your Petrel? How many dives on it?

I hope you sent your computer to a Shearwater Service Center. They are good.

good luck,
markm

There are a relatively small number of depth sensors used in dive computers, and inevitably there is a chance that some will fail after a period of use. It's not likely to be anything you did or didn't do. We had sensor failures in 2014 that traced back to contamination of the protective gel at the Swiss sensor manufacturer, many problems didn't turn up until after years of use. It's not Shearwater's fault, and the price to repair seems very reasonable considering the labor involved. It's unfortunate, but none of these devices will last forever. With luck your replacement will last many years.

I'm no expert but chances are you'll get a full replacement of the electronics module for the price quoted (Apple repairs for instance are like that, just swap the whole thing out and replace it with a brand new module). No idea for Shearwater though. Not a bad deal IMO anyway, if there's a scuba brand that treats customers fairly, that's Shearwater.

I had a few out of warranty Suunto DC's with failed depth sensors; they would go on these wild dives by themselves (not so uncommon with Suunto, unfortunately).

I contacted Suunto and asked them if they could repair them. They told me no, but they'd give me 10% off of a new transmitter. Not sure how that was supposed to help.

Shearwater's response seems far more helpful.

Have you tried soaking the computer, perhaps with a splash of vinegar added to the water, to remove any possible salt deposits?

I contacted Suunto and asked them if they could repair them. They told me no, but they'd give me 10% off of a new transmitter. Not sure how that was supposed to help.
Hell any dive store I know, will give me 10% off just for being able to breathe on my own.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom