Scopolamine 10pk $250?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem is the rate at which the drug is delivered to your body. the uncut patch leches out the drug very slowly; the cut patch does it quickly, through the cut part.

When the aspirin box says (say) two pills every 6h, which is eight per day, do you just take all eight in the morning and hope it is OK?

I'd find out what the effects were of delivering the scopalamine at a higher rate and possibly reseal the cut patch if it were an issue....but thank you for pointing that out.

As far as ASA goes I take as little as possible so I would never come close to the daily maximum of 4000 mg. We were also taught that NSAIDS can have a cumulative affect so I try to limit my use. I take the occasional acetaminophen but am well aware of what can happen if you exceed the daily maximum.

Back to the subject at hand, there has been an extended shortage on generic scopolamine patches. I haven't been able to find them for over a year. The last time I had patches filled it took 6 pharmacies to find name brand patches in stock, and they cost me about 125 for 5 patches. But not being excessively I'll on the dive boat, priceless

Really? Cutting in half will have no greater I'll effect than the whole patch...get over it...fresh. oh, I dont get sea sick so I dont use them.

Until DAN or another reputable dive medicine organization has studied the effects, it’s misinformation and irresponsible to suggest that anyone alter the delivery mechanism of a drug and then go diving with it. End of story...fresh

Until DAN or another reputable dive medicine organization has studied the effects, it’s misinformation and irresponsible to suggest that anyone alter the delivery mechanism of a drug and then go diving with it. End of story...fresh
Lol...I bet you never cut an aspirin in half either...

The sco patches work well for me. But I do get side effects. Mostly dialated pupils that affects my near vision (my near vision isn't perfect on a good day too) and a really dopey/lethargic feeling.

Wow, many thanks for all the responses! I'll address some stuff like this:

Cutting the patch
I considered doing this, but I did a small amount of searching and came to the conclusion I'd rather just not test it on myself, especially considering how the two different delivery mechanisms work with the patch. I am sure others have done it with no harm to themselves, but each person is different and since my wife would sometimes need a patch, and she is sensitive to any medication she takes, the risk outweighed the reward.

Using Pill form
I did not know there was a pill form of this, I will check that out soon. In fact, knowing there is a pill form brings me to this question: Is it possible to "step-down" the amount used in pill form until your body has completely adjusted and no longer needs it?

Buying it online
I knew it was Mexico and Canada for which offered this OTC, I didn't know an alarmingly higher number of countries also off this OTC, which I think is amazing! This being said, I have no issue buying it online, with the understanding it can be halted at customs, but I would still approach with some skepticism and would probably just send a random patch off to a quick lab for testing to determine if it indeed was pure and free of anything harmful, you just never know these days, but I wouldn't rule this out and may order some soon to try. However, when I take a trip to Mexico, I am going to the Pharmacy :wink:

I read somewhere else, a recent article, there is some strange shortage of generic Scopolamine, but no specifics were given. Either way, it is a small price to pay for not feeling ill. Now, I did yak once, but I also drank Sprite and a ate a bag of Doritos, which probably wasn't smart AND I do believe this was when my patch came off and I didn't know. I h ave fixed the problem from ever happening again by using the 3M Nexcare waterproof bandages over the patch, using alcohol wipes before applying both patches to achieve an optimum stick and seal with the 3M bandage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom