U1277 in Porto, North Portugal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody familiar with the German submarine U1277 sunk off Porto, northern Portugal at the end of WWII? Supposed to be one of the better dive sites in the northern part of the country? Thanks for any information.

Hi,

Never been there, here are some videos from Portuguese divers.
Be aware this videos are from summer time (August) and every one is using dry suites and visibility is limited.

Regards,
Pedro

Thanks, those are great!

Anybody familiar with the German submarine U1277 sunk off Porto, northern Portugal at the end of WWII? Supposed to be one of the better dive sites in the northern part of the country? Thanks for any information.

Yes, I live in Porto and dived there. What do you wanna know?

- Submarine sits at 30m, full of life around and inside;
- Non-penetration dive as it is full of sand inside;
- Pressure hull is gone, so you can see the torpedo launchers (full of shrimps);
- Visibility is very limited 0-10m, standard would be 3m - when I was there it was not terrible above 12m and below 15m but there was a lot of sand in between (seemed almost a night dive);
- Water is chilly year round in Porto but there are some people that dive there with thick semi-dry/wetsuits;
- There are night dives there from time to time - usually in the middle of the week;
- In June there should be dives there on weekends pretty regularly;
- The dive center / boat that is closer to the site is this: CS Diving Center – CS Diving Center (website is in portuguese but they speak English).

- Pressure hull is gone, so you can see the torpedo launchers (full of shrimps);
- Visibility is very limited 0-10m, standard would be 3m - when I was there it was not terrible above 12m and below 15m but there was a lot of sand in between (seemed almost a night dive);
- Water is chilly year round in Porto but there are some people that dive there with thick semi-dry/wetsuits;
- There are night dives there from time to time - usually in the middle of the week;
- The dive center / boat that is closer to the site is this: CS Diving Center – CS Diving Center (website is in portuguese but they speak English).

Great information! Thanks!

Hi guys,

I'm new here but I'm trying to contact dive centres to book a dive for this site but none of them are responding. Does anyone have any information that could help? Trying to get the dive booked first to work the holiday around it as you suggest they may have a schedule they keep to. I am in Portugal from the 4th to the 14th of September.

Thank you in advance.

Hi guys,

I'm new here but I'm trying to contact dive centres to book a dive for this site but none of them are responding. Does anyone have any information that could help? Trying to get the dive booked first to work the holiday around it as you suggest they may have a schedule they keep to. I am in Portugal from the 4th to the 14th of September.

Thank you in advance.
don't worry all sorted now aha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom