DIY Full Face Mask for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, you are so right. What I'm looking at is a toy novelty. But I see potential uses for my other activities; when dredging for gold my lips get really cold from the river in 3-6ft of depth. If this toy FF mask fails I'll try out the IST M37 FF mask $90-130, it's been around for decades.
When/if you abandon this endeavor, get an Aqualung lip guard to add to your existing regulator for cold water use.

I may divert my efforts to this full face mask that I found made in China. It's very cheap $30 U
SD + $22 shipping to get it within 3-7 days. The nose pocket is flexible enough to allow squeezing your nose to clear your ears. Just have to evaluate it for the rest of it's features or cons. Have to figure out how to add my Buddy phone mic and add a breathing valve when on the surface if you don't want to take off your mask.
That looks prety much identical in design to a model that scubapro sells or used to sell. Except scubapro used black rubber instead of clear. Super easy, you attach the thing to a second stage in place of the mouthpiece.

Best of luck to you, if you make an effort I'm sure you can devise a workable mask. FFM's really aren't very complex beasts assuming you're reusing the regulator parts from a standard regulator. You do need a way to clear your ears, unless you're lucky enough to be one of those folks who can do it without holding your nose first.

That looks prety much identical in design to a model that scubapro sells or used to sell. Except scubapro used black rubber instead of clear. Super easy, you attach the thing to a second stage in place of the mouthpiece.

Best of luck to you, if you make an effort I'm sure you can devise a workable mask. FFM's really aren't very complex beasts assuming you're reusing the regulator parts from a standard regulator. You do need a way to clear your ears, unless you're lucky enough to be one of those folks who can do it without holding your nose first.

I will be using a normal 2nd stage regulator and may have to tune the cracking sensitivity. I should be able to clear my ears by pinching the nose pocket which is soft and flexible.
ScubaPro has their Mantis Full Face Mask in their product line and retails for $709.
scubapro full_face_mask_3586.jpg

This Toy FFM that I'm trying out is similar to the IST M37 FFM that sells for $90-130.

I will be using a normal 2nd stage regulator and may have to tune the cracking sensitivity. I should be able to clear my ears by pinching the nose pocket which is soft and flexible.
ScubaPro has their Mantis Full Face Mask in their product line and retails for $709.View attachment 552461
This Toy FFM that I'm trying out is similar to the IST M37 FFM that sells for $90-130.
Saying that the SP Mantis is comparable with the IST M37 is like comparing a Citroen 3CV with a Mercedes Benz Pagoda

Saying that the SP Mantis is comparable with the IST M37 is like comparing a Citroen 3CV with a Mercedes Benz Pagoda
I missed that comparison. Certainly the two were in the same paragraph, but I didn't read that as a direct comparison.

The eyes are still isolated from the nasal pocket. Good luck equalizing mask squeeze. Please have a buddy take pics of your eyeballs exiting their orbits.

Best to start from scratch.
Most FFM are positive pressure. I have been diving AGAs and Ocean Reef for over twenty years. PSD and recreational. Mask squeeze is a non issue with FFM, at least the two, aforementioned brands!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom