YS-01 Battery Cover Quiestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1_T_Submariner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a YS-01 probably 4 years old. I flooded a set of Batteries my fault Oring wasn't in groove. Ok So replaced ORing Clean contacts etc... Fresh batteries.

Seems to work fine,

A year later. I didn't have much opportunity for photos just lots of diving.

Now the stobe is basically dead until I push on the battery cover. I have bent the tabs a bit to make sure they are making contact. IT seems to work intermittently once below 20 feet like pressure is pushing it in.

Any Ideas?? Do the cover Cam action things wear out?

Thanks!

I once had symptoms like that from some eneloop AAs that had become dented on the bottom (from use in a light with strong compression). Otherwise I occasionally have issues where bending the tabs up helps.

A flood both creates corrosion issues and can actually thin the metal if it's bad. You need to make sure all contacts are clean, Bending up the tabs on the tail piece can help. Carefully inspect the metal first to make sure there is enough thickness to bend without breaking. You can get replacement caps.
Contacts inside the case need to be clean also. After shining them up I put a....very.....thin coat of silicone on them. Just a smidgen.

Never tried electrical cleaner on them but that could be worth considering if the corrosion is bad.

I wash out a flood well using warm water, toothbrush, toothpaste, cotton swabs, etc.
Then soak briefly with diluted warm vinegar. Watch for bubbling and cleaning up the corrosion. Rinse, neutralize with a bit of soda in water, rinse again, blow dry well, polish contacts, then silicone.
If things aren't wrecked, that will generally get you going again.

Most of the time the batteries are ruined. They should not be considered for strobes again. If you have equipment to test properly they might be useful for lower grade use after cleaning up....maybe. Better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom