Cell dating question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. Are the cells' expiration date based on 1 year from when you put them in or is it based on the manufacturer's "don't use after date? I'll look for the photos. I threw a button gauge on the regs because I had a couple lying around. I'll see how I like that and then will try the real spg.

No, that's the manufacturers date. I rarely, if ever, get the opportunity to put a brand new cell in a unit, and if I do, it doesn't make it a full 12 months.

I also bin them when they're reading down to 9mv in air. BTW, speaking of voltages, here's another weirdness I've seen. I had two cells flame hot right before they died. They started reading 14+mv in air, they lasted all of 24 hours after they started that behavior and when they died, they were reading 0mv.

Thanks for all of the responses. It's been informative and educational. I guess I've been lucky that for the 12 months we've been using our cells they've worked spotlessly.

I looked at the box the AI cells come in and was a little surprised. I haven't had to check out unused cells since this is the first time I've had to change them. From the reading I've done in rebreather books and online, I assumed all cells just had a date they were made and a QC card that said the date they were tested and the results. That's what the cells for my analyzers have. These AI cells don't have a manufacture date. They have the date they were tested on the QC card, a sell by date, and a don't use after date. The sell by date is about 3-4 months after the test date and the don't use after is 1 year from the sell by date. I also assumed like many other products there was a serial number and lot number, but there's only a serial number. It's easy to infer that 5 out of the 6 cells I'm changing are from the same lot since all of the dates are identical

No douche-iness intended here...

You’ve got several options. You could have a life-altering near death experience due to cell problems (whether caused by the cells, a bad cable connection, water, whatever), you could follow proper training and good diving practices and not use the manufacturer’s “do not use beyond” date, or you could end up dead.

Cells are cheap. Hospital visits, doctor bills, or worse funerals are expensive. Trust me on this one, you do not want to end up losing several days of diving on a bucket list trip by nearly dying and going to the emergency room. You will never again allow it to happen.

As far as how I handle cells, I change them all at once. I take my old cells, vacuum seal them in a food saver bag, and put them in my emergency kit. 4 cells for each O2ptima, 3 cells for each KISS unit. Before any big trip I order a full set brand new and bring them with me. Next time I go to Truk, I’ll have a space head and computer for my O2ptima. Overkill? Maybe. But I’m not going to waste a day of diving because of a bad cable and I have zero interest in revisiting the emergency room in Truk.

My mom had a unique way of teaching people her theories on life. She always told me that there are 3 kinds of men in this world:

1 - Men who learn from the mistakes of others
2 - Men who learn by reading
and the final group...
3 - Men who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Trust me here - choose wisely!!

I am prone to skin bends. I've definitely had at a least minor case more times than the time I went to the chamber. Makes for a very uncomfortable nights sleep!

I still do what I do, but I try my best to avoid getting bent again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom