Trip report Moalboal 11/8~11/11 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basically one of the biggest dive factories in Moalboal, lots of expat newbie instructors who are there to "live their dream" (understand don't give a s**t about the customer) chatting between themselves, remotely caring about the customers, you'd feel almost sorry to bother them.

Tried to book Cebu Dive Centre this past week, but they were full, and Cameron responded promptly...no issues there. . Went with Savedra, as they squeezed us for a shore dive on the house reef, but felt like a pretty impersonal operation overall. Dive was good. Pretty decent current due to tide on the way out, , max depth about 18 meters (??), drifted back nice and easy. But, WOW....the sardines are even more impressive than we thought. The waves of fish were more like a solid roof above us, and walls when moving through them. This dive steals the show, regardless of who you dive with for the day.

FYI.... Neither of our gauges worked on either console for the two of us...the shop's response, when asked after dive, was that their equipment,,,,some of it works, some of it doesn't. I looked before we went, and suspected it was inaccurate, so that's partially on me.I also forgot my computer in Cebu City at our hotel..so, again...duh. In the interest of full disclosure, I had seen similar comments about this shop before I contacted them.

The dive guide we went with was good and a pretty personable Filipino young guy (Marc?), but I can see the "dive factory" comments ringing true for the overall operation as a whole. It's obvious they pump a lot of divers through on a daily basis. However, we STILL appreciated them working us into the schedule, and have no regrets on using Savedra for a last minute (therefore poorly planned on our part!) excursion. Would do it again in a pinch.

Johncn

Tried to book Cebu Dive Centre this past week, but they were full, and Cameron responded promptly...no issues there. . Went with Savedra, as they squeezed us for a shore dive on the house reef, but felt like a pretty impersonal operation overall. Dive was good. Pretty decent current due to tide on the way out, , max depth about 18 meters (??), drifted back nice and easy. But, WOW....the sardines are even more impressive than we thought. The waves of fish were more like a solid roof above us, and walls when moving through them. This dive steals the show, regardless of who you dive with for the day.

FYI.... Neither of our gauges worked on either console for the two of us...the shop's response, when asked after dive, was that their equipment,,,,some of it works, some of it doesn't. I looked before we went, and suspected it was inaccurate, so that's partially on me.I also forgot my computer in Cebu City at our hotel..so, again...duh. In the interest of full disclosure, I had seen similar comments about this shop before I contacted them.

The dive guide we went with was good and a pretty personable Filipino young guy (Marc?), but I can see the "dive factory" comments ringing true for the overall operation as a whole. It's obvious they pump a lot of divers through on a daily basis. However, we STILL appreciated them working us into the schedule, and have no regrets on using Savedra for a last minute (therefore poorly planned on our part!) excursion. Would do it again in a pinch.

Johncn
Which gauge are you referring to? Depth gauge?

Yes, it did not work at all on either mine or my wife's, and the pressure gauge seemed to vary on readings during the dive. Have never experienced that before. Probably just banged up.

Johncn

Went with Savedra, as they squeezed us for a shore dive on the house reef, but felt like a pretty impersonal operation overall.

The dive guide we went with was good and a pretty personable Filipino young guy (Marc?), but I can see the "dive factory" comments ringing true for the overall operation as a whole. It's obvious they pump a lot of divers through on a daily basis.
I dived with Mark as well : he was the only factor that for me saved Savedra, whenever we went on Pescador with the cattle boat, while the gringo instructor/boat director asked everyone to follow his silly shallow dive plan going to the less spectacular but easier area, Mark on my request guided me at where Pescador is famous for, the lively corals and giant Spanish dancers, around 30-35m depth.

So here's Mark with an impressive spanish dancer on Pescador around 35m deptth

41979743442_f01fd8eccd_c.jpg

Wow, I am missing the sardines so much right now!
My wife asked me why I had so many pictures and movies of them? answer "I could not stop"
Another vote for CDC, Cameron is awesome along with his entire staff.
We dove the sardines from the boat, when we were done we walked out of the water at the shop.

I dived with Mark as well : he was the only factor that for me saved Savedra, whenever we went on Pescador with the cattle boat, while the gringo instructor/boat director asked everyone to follow his silly shallow dive plan going to the less spectacular but easier area, Mark on my request guided me at where Pescador is famous for, the lively corals and giant Spanish dancers, around 30-35m depth.

So here's Mark with an impressive spanish dancer on Pescador around 35m deptth

View attachment 552837
what an impressive CFWA shot!
I want to dive in the Philippines again badly, but ...
the one CHxxx policy is killing me...

Go Cebu Dive Center managed by Cameron, an American citizen.
It is far from being a diving industry and I really liked my diving week with them.
Moreover, it is cheap, they offer free daily Nitrox tank, they are right in front of the sardines, and close to all restaurants, convenient stores, bars...

That is good to hear as I will be spending March there and was planning on diving with them.
Do you know if they will allow a buddy pair to shore dive without a guide?

Back
Top Bottom