Visting Florida... recommendations for diving in Ft Lauderdale.. or go to Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like diving Key Largo, it's a 3 hour flight for me to Ft Lauderdale. Great chance to experience diving off a Boat!

No need to be apprehensive about diving off a boat. Where do people get this notion, anyway?

No need to be apprehensive about diving off a boat. Where do people get this notion, anyway?
Maybe because PADI sells it as a course, divers that don't know better can get the impression that it requires some kind of advanced skills?

Me personally, I love beach diving. I see tons of stuff, and I get to decide when to go, how long to stay, etc. Bummer about this time of year the diving can be hit or miss. Conditions have to be pretty good to beach dive, while boat diving it can still be very doable. Cap't Tony in Deerfield, Diveboat Diversity, is a smaller boat, extremely safety conscious, and if you talk to him about being wanting a guide, could probably hook you up. The reefs re nice, and if doing reef diving, has a selection of reefs to choose from depending on cert and comfort levels.
Best of luck whatever you decide, and post a trip report!

The Keys are nice. I like diving the Keys. But some of the best diving in Florida is in the Palm Beach area. Calmer, more relaxed, less expensive (diving AND hotels). Lots of dive options (from 30 foot to whatever!). And an amazing array of big and small sealife. Turtles, whale shark, mantas, sharks, goliath grouper...you name it. It is my favorite place to dive.

In fact....I love it so much I ended up working for the largest and most experienced local dive operation because it gives me more excuses to dive in this amazing area!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom