Dual Inon S-2000 vs single S&S D2J + video light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DES63

Registered
Reaction score
Setting up a lighting set for a G7X Mkii in a Fantasea housing. I'd like to stay around $1K and I'm currently considering a Dual Inon S-2000 vs single S&S D2J + video light, which would give me the option to add another D2J later. Would like fairly general capabilities, macro and some ability for WA. Any experienced photographers have any thoughts ? Any input really appreciated.

If you are trying to use the strobe and video light together for a still image, - in a word NO as the strobe is many many times brighter than a video light so you would hardly notice its contribution. An S-2000 is plenty for 1" sensors, you only need to stop down to f5.6 and the S-2000 should be capable of that easily for wide angle. The S-2000 is much more compact than the S&S full size strobe at the expense of small controls and has a better reliability reputation than the S&S strobes searching through the forums you will see tales of woe even with the D2J (as compared to the D2 Chinese made strobe). This thread compares the output of a 14K lumen video light and a D2J: Tested: Strobe vs 14k lumen Video Light; Sea & Sea YS-D2 vs. Gates GT14

Of course if you wanted the light to do video that's another story.

Sorry, but the s-2000 is not nearly as powerful as the YS-D2J strobe. The S-2000 has a GN of 20 and the YS-D2J a GN of 32 both with out diffusers. In practical use 18 & 24 respectively. Guide numbers are logarithmic so that a lot of power difference. Two strobes generally are going to be necessary when shooting wide angle with lenses covering 140°.

I shoot dual Sea & Sea ysd2’s and am very happy with them. One is sufficient for a lot of macro WA is harder to light properly. One Ysd2 might not be enough, but 2 of the s2000s might not be enough either.

The difference between guide number 18 and 24 is a little short of one stop or a little over 50% of the power. If I can shoot f8 with 2 x Z-240 on my m43 setup then shooting f5.6 is equally possible on a 1" sensor with a pair of S-2000 at constant ISO. Generally I'm at about half power shooting two Z-240 at ISO200-250. The Z-240 is about half way between as D2-J and an S-2000 in power output with diffusers.

Thanks All, responses really appreciated. I have decided to go with the dual S-2000's for now, get a feel for strobe photography (I have been shooting with a Sealife camera with video light to date), and then step up to more powerful strobes in future if I find I'm not happy with them.

Sounds like a plan. Have fun with it and post some shots!

Back
Top Bottom