Life expectancy of dive computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best of luck, and what will you get in return, a Suunto

All dive computers do fail. I have a friend and dive buddy who owns a Shearwater Petrel. I have lost count of how many times that broken **** has been shipped to the manufacturer for repair. And I have seen the same happen with rebreathers. And, yes, Suuntos fail too. I did experience it once. I have never seen an Apeks reg fail shut, though.

Please note that in todays world nobody is manufacturing a device from the ground up. They are built from parts. Sometimes the manufacturer of parts tries to be a little bit too cost effective.

Best of luck, and what will you get in return, a Suunto?

If I recall, it was a small amount of cash! I’ll have to look into it. I thought I’d lost it but my husband found it a couple of days ago.

***I looked into it and it appears I could have them fix the depth sensor or replace the unit - once. My issue was it completely stopped working - a different sort of problem that the depth sensor failing. And they DID replace it once already, so I don't think I would qualify for anything at all. So I still have a very expensive paperweight.

20191128_112651.jpg
Most of these work fine. Modern computers are mostly useless to me. Not durable and designed by product liability lawyers.

View attachment 552310 Most of these work fine. Modern computers are mostly useless to me. Not durable and designed by product liability lawyers.
I've got a small but growing collection of classic dive computers. I use them to present to elementary school children annually. If you're willing to part with any of those oldies but goodies, please consider sending them my way :wink:.

I'm still using my Suunto ML I bought in 1987. :)

QfeJs4.jpg

Hi @Scuba Lawyer

Nice computer. This was well before Suunto started with their version of RGBM a decade later. Any idea how the ML runs in the liberal to conservative spectrum? I doubt it has a NDL planner, maybe a table in the owner's manual, as if you might still have it :)

Hi @Scuba Lawyer

Nice computer. This was well before Suunto started with their version of RGBM a decade later. Any idea how the ML runs in the liberal to conservative spectrum? I doubt it has a NDL planner, maybe a table in the owner's manual, as if you might still have it :)

Thanks. My understanding is that the ML runs on straight NAVY table but recalculates continuously at each depth reading. When you surface the ML automatically goes into a NDL scroll mode that shows curent NDL at each 10' increment from 40' to 190'. As far as conservative vs liberal, it is the old NAVY table so as long as you are a 22 year old SEAL your risk of DCS is only slight. :)

Thanks. My understanding is that the ML runs on straight NAVY table but recalculates continuously at each depth reading. When you surface the ML automatically goes into a NDL scroll mode that shows curent NDL at each 10' increment from 40' to 190'. As far as conservative vs liberal, it is the old NAVY table so as long as you are a 22 year old SEAL your risk of DCS is only slight. :)

Thanks, I found out a little about the ML and you are correct about the US Navy tables and the multilevel capability. How does it do on repetitive dives?
upload_2019-11-28_13-29-27.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom