Cozumel Dive School Intel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello community,

This may be a repost, but my search turned up very little so here goes! I was certified in August, competitive swimmer most of my life so it's been a pretty natural process (good air usage, fairly agile).

Currently planning a dive trip to Cozumel, looking for intel on Cozumel Dive School, which from what I understand is a relatively new operation. In particular I am intrigued by their housing-included package, and was wondering if anyone can provide insight on that. I am a solo diver, and it seems like a very cost effective option as I only need a bed and they seem to be able to provide that included with an Advanced Open Water certification (which is what I'm looking for). Thank you!

Hello community,

This may be a repost, but my search turned up very little so here goes! I was certified in August, competitive swimmer most of my life so it's been a pretty natural process (good air usage, fairly agile).

Currently planning a dive trip to Cozumel, looking for intel on Cozumel Dive School, which from what I understand is a relatively new operation. In particular I am intrigued by their housing-included package, and was wondering if anyone can provide insight on that. I am a solo diver, and it seems like a very cost effective option as I only need a bed and they seem to be able to provide that included with an Advanced Open Water certification (which is what I'm looking for). Thank you!

You can find this option without going through them. I will just put it out there that they are a certification mill and instructors are not local. Don't let the Trip Advisor ranking fool you.

+1 on Willman's suggestion of doing your book work at home and if you can...the initial pool dives too. That way you can do your check out dives in the warm clear turquoise water of Cozumel & keep enjoying. Most shops have instructors that can take you through the last steps. Blue XTSea, Aldora, Living Underwater, Pepe Scuba, Tres Pelicanos, Scuba with Allison, Deep Blue, etc....I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites and experiences. It behooves you to research and contact some of them for details/prices.

You can find this option without going through them. I will just put it out there that they are a certification mill and instructors are not local. Don't let the Trip Advisor ranking fool you.
Funny the majority of their reviews on TA are from first time posters and they are kind of evenly spaced out, 4-5 each month. The reviews are all kind of similar too.

You can get decent hotels on Cozumel from $30-$45 a night and there are cheaper options for hostels.

Not that some of the other stuff doesn’t apply, but OP says they are already certified and looking for AOW.

Don't let the Trip Advisor ranking fool you.
Trip Advisor has become worthless, hasn't it? Well, it might have some good suggestions on what to see & do for some destinations, but one has to wonder if even those are real. So many of their business recommendations are fake. They're really a glorified booking site as they do sell rooms, activities, etc.
Funny the majority of their reviews on TA are from first time posters and they are kind of evenly spaced out, 4-5 each month. The reviews are all kind of similar too.

Personally I'd do the training and pool work at home to enjoy Cozumel.
I don't remember any books or pool dives for Advanced Open Water? Well, it's been 18½ years, maybe there were some books or e-studies? Yeah, if so, do those at home. Mostly it was just doing the dives under an Instructor's oversight.
+1 on Willman's suggestion of doing your book work at home and if you can...the initial pool dives too.

There are dozens of great operators on the island with seemingly much better reputations. Virtually all can provide packages that include the dives, training, the CARD, and hotel rooms. That new cozumel dive school does list cheap rates, yes - but I suspect that are additional costs. I would certainly skip the bunkhouse, but with double occupancy - that
Hermanos Aguilar might be okay if you're careful. I've walked by it many times and thought it looked seedy. I'd pay $50-100 each more for the nicer hotels maybe, depending on the rest of their story.

Hello community,

Salty Endeavors has private apartments starting at $20/night for their divers. Comes with AC, wifi, pool access, garden patio, hot water showers, etc...

Hello community,

Just saw this post and you can tell that there are many fake reviews on TripAdvisor. Anytime you see glowing reviews from somebody that only has 1 or 2 reviews, those are usually fake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom