Console mounted - old school vs new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

take apart the console and wrist mount the computer and compass for now. get a perdix ai/teric later on or maybe the descent mk2.

My Aladdin Prime was great until it needed a new battery, then it ate them like candy. By the 3rd battery it wouldn't last a week of diving.

Read here about similar stuff: Aladin Prime - Problems + Problems

Even if I was given a brand new Prime, I would not trust it. In recreational diving, the risk is not mortal, but it will cost you a day or more of diving if it fails. When I schedule a week of diving, loosing a day or two because my computer failed and I need to 'reset' my nitrogen levels before diving a replacement/loaner isn't worth it.

I say buy a new proven and reliable dive computer. Even a cheap Mares Puck for $170 is better than an Aladdin Prime.

My operating procedure would be to try it he way it was designed then make improvements. If the computer works, run it till it doesn't, or until you have a good reason to move to another with distinct advantages. I have found it amusing that divers with different gear and different configurations are all completely convinced that their rig is the best, without trying anything else. The power of marketing.

Agreed . . .

The dive industry and those marketing weasels have been reinventing the wheel for decades now. Old wrist-mounted equipment fell out of vogue some years ago; and is now back, in a big way, along with transmitters, and an overarching dependance upon electronics. I have both largely mechanical and electronic setups, though have drawn the line at transmitters, having seen both too many failures; or, almost as common, mechanical damages from crew-members, mishandling that gear, once back on deck.

On one occasion, I took along an old rig on a trip, after I had rebuilt it, along with a score of more modern equipment; and one British tourist, carrying the then latest and greatest, either knowingly or unknowingly paraphrased David Bowie, from The Man Who Fell to Earth, when he asked, "Do you really feel safe with that hopelessly antiquated equipment?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom