Dead father pulled ashore by teenage son - Catherine Hill Bay, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
When my time comes, I'd rather go diving or exploring than in an old folks home, and without my family watching. So unfortunate for this young fellow.

Man dies scuba-diving with teenage son at Catherine Hill Bay
A man who died scuba-diving at Catherine Hill Bay on Sunday was among three fatalities inside 72 hours on the NSW coast.

The 55-year-old, who was diving with his 16-year-old son south of Catherine Hill Bay jetty, is understood to have suffered a medical episode in the water.

Paramedics were called to the scene about 11am and, along with lifesavers, administered CPR and a defibrillator, but the man could not be revived.

He had been dragged from the water unresponsive by his teenage son.

Surf Life Saving NSW chief executive Steven Pearce said on Monday the incident was part of a "pretty ordinary" and "tragic" long weekend.

"We've been kept on our toes all weekend," he said.

"We had two drownings within the space of an hour [on Sunday]. One at Catherine Hill Bay that involved a scuba diver and another one an hour later up at Urunga.

"That was a really tragic incident involving a family visiting from Wollongong where a father and son were swept out in a river mouth in a rip and the father couldn't remain treading water."

Mr Pearce said a similar incident occurred on the South Coast on Friday.

"A father went in to save his children and he perished, and his children were able to be rescued," he said.

(continued at link above)

This was on 6 October 2019. First I have heard of it, does not seem to have made the media apart from the local Newcastle paper. Very shallow and easy dive site.

Hopefully these events come to mind when we go with the family in any water location. Not to stop us from going but to remind us to remember what could happen and stay vigilant while we enjoy ourselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom