Best viz in the Great Lakes region. Using a DH reg to boot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank goodness the Princess was open until 1pm because even the outhouses and public washrooms were all locked up. Free parking though, lol.
It's my favorite time up there, when it's not howling.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I"m the only one who might be "offended", and I assure you, I am not remotely offended!
None lost. I've been to Tobermory. It is still a favorite and I intend to visit again. With my digital cameras now. I dove there when the Nikonos ruled the seas. I have no videos though. I found the housings too clumsy. I hope the Zebra mussels that seem to be found elsewhere have spared the wrecks. I see your tags suggest you have cabins there. I may need to look you up next year.
Tell me. Is vintage gear exceptible in Tobermory? On charters etc.

Oh we have some mussels but it’s not at all like the lower lakes. I suppose they’ve contributed to the improved vis. We routinely get 100’ plus, especially in the spring.

And yes, I have a house there so I spend a lot of time there!

Oh we have some mussels but it’s not at all like the lower lakes. I suppose they’ve contributed to the improved vis. We routinely get 100’ plus, especially in the spring.

And yes, I have a house there so I spend a lot of time there!

That must be wonderful to have that available to you. I assume that's not your primary residence.
We don't have the same quality wrecks in Marquette's preserve, and though there are good dives in Munising ,whichi only 45minutes away, I feel they too pale in comparison. I very much intend to get down there again soon.

However, I'm curious if you see divers there with DH regulators or other vintage gear. I know a lot of instructors and charter boat captains who shun vintage gear. Is this the case in Tobermory? Any and all info is appreciated.

DD

[QUOTE="Diverdon, post: 8824690, member: 1851"Is this the case in Tobermory? Any and all info is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Not that I’ve noticed but then I don’t really do the charter thing, having my own boat. And no, at this point it’s not my primary residence.

I have a couple of friends who dabble with vintage gear, but I think they limit its use to shallower quarries near here.

If you start to get serious about coming, I can put you in touch with Mike and Kelly who own Divers Den. My guess is that they'd be fine with it...

[QUOTE="Diverdon, post: 8824690, member: 1851"Is this the case in Tobermory? Any and all info is appreciated.

DD

Not that I’ve noticed but then I don’t really do the charter thing, having my own boat. And no, at this point it’s not my primary residence.

I have a couple of friends who dabble with vintage gear, but I think they limit its use to shallower quarries near here.[/QUOTE]

It's best to learn the quirks of DH regs in a more controlled manner. Glad to hear they're cautious and not foolhardy.

I'll look into this section some more. I'm sure there are many posts on Tobermory.

It's best to learn the quirks of DH regs in a more controlled manner. Glad to hear they're cautious and not foolhardy.

I'll look into this section snow more. I'm sure there are many posts on Tobermory.

I suspect that that's exactly it. The dives they would be doing in Tob would be in the 110' to 150' range. Even a brand new DH would labour a little at those depths I suspect.

I suspect that that's exactly it. The dives they would be doing in Tob would be in the 110' to 150' range. Even a brand new DH would labour a little at those depths I suspect.

I've used my single stage Mistral to 137' and it breathed about the same as it does at 20'. The reg in this video has a newer Titan first stage in place of the factory first stage, which explains the pressure gauge I show mid-video. I'm surprised no one caught that yet. This allows for an octo and buoyancy device, which I would use if on a charter boat or diving with a partner.
Purging the reg would probably be the biggest challenge for a diver unfamiliar with vintage gear as there is no button. Merely holding the hose above the first stage at tank level accomplishes this. But there are other concerns like a flooded exhaust hose and optimum breathing positions that also require study. A little practice you'll find that these regs aren't that bad at all.
Oh, and there are those that swear by the Kraken which is a newly manufactured DH regulator. I do not own one but may some day.
Either way, I wouldn't discount old technology. I still use my MK10 Balanced Adjustable (did so on the forester and the Arabia et al. 20 years ago) and would suggest that it works as well as any modern reg. My opinion of course. I do have a more modern plastic reg but I usually reserve that for trips south. I've found that many of the kids who call themselves DMs sometimes balk at the sight of chrome.

LOL. My clan uses DHs a lot, but they're all attached to rebreathers. ;-)
Fancy shmancy new gear one of these days I'll get into that. You guys take naps on those wrecks with all the bottom time you get?
I like the price if open circuit but fear I may need to look closer at Rebreathers as the Guinilda sp? is high up on my bucket list and the thought of hours of deco in Lake Superior isn't very appealing to me.

Back
Top Bottom