ATTENTION UW PHOTOGRAPHERS:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does it matter when they are using it as a money grab against diving photographers and perhaps we may assume any other tourist with great camera equipment.

Mexico is basically a failed/narco state at this point so in that sense, I suppose it doesn't. However, I don't think it helps our case to basically concede (incorrectly) right out the gate that these rogue custom officials are following the law; they aren't.

The link that Karen posted above referencing the $500 limit states:

"Now you may currently bring with you goods up to a value of 500 dollars without paying taxes, additional to your personal luggage. This will only apply during holiday season, the rest of the year the duty exemption is 300 dollars."

"Personal luggage" means that scuba gear, your clothes and other "personal effects" are not subject to the $500 limit. In fact, your camera gear should also be considered "personal luggage" unless you're a working professional.

I respectfully disagree with Karen that this "tax" being collected is the "law of Mexico". It is not... It's an abuse/mischaracterization of a law which is explicitly intended to apply to professionals.
Going strictly by my own interpretation, I see it the same way actually. And I would feel a little better if it was just a racket instead of a government instigated one. Except for when I then think about how much that then signifies just how much the government is out of control (and who fills that vacuum). Then of course I am thinking stuff like if, some day, the very officer fleecing my bags might tell their “supporting patrons” about which visitors might make hostages worth while for ransom or such... and then it becomes a bit difficult for me to justify as to why to choose to go there and risk whatever possible might evolve out of situations like that. Not that that would happen while I am there... but I won’t have to find out if I choose not to risk it... And an element of chance and risk certainly seems involved...

Mexico is basically a failed/narco state at this point so in that sense, I suppose it doesn't. However, I don't think it helps our case to basically concede (incorrectly) right out the gate that these rogue custom officials are following the law; they aren't.

Other than not show up in the first place, there's no way to fight it on the spot.

I'm heading to Soccoro in January and have printed the duty exemptions which include 2 cameras and my sports equipment. I would think by having the duty exemption in writing that will work at keeping my $ in my pocket. I'll be contacting my LOB provider this week to see what their advice is.

do anyone know if just the housing is taxed or also strobe , dome port, ... ?

I will arrive in SJD airport on december 20th and I will prepare myself for the worst .

Unfortunately I cannot make carnet-ata because when I leave I just have 3 hours from liveaboard desembark to take off ( thanks American Airlines to anticipate my flight ... grrrr )

do anyone know if just the housing is taxed or also strobe , dome port, ... ?

In my case, they taxed all of it. They went item by item and added up the cost. The two camera bodies and two lenses were deducted and I was expected to pay tax on the strobes, housings, ports, etc. Luckily they took my word for their value or I'd have been even worse off...

Good luck on your trip, hopefully you'll slip through.

The Mexicans need to make back all the money they put out to pay for Trump's wall. Payback's a bitch. :rofl3:

We were planning on booking a Socorro LB this winter, for next. That's not happening now.

In my case, they taxed all of it. They went item by item and added up the cost. The two camera bodies and two lenses were deducted and I was expected to pay tax on the strobes, housings, ports, etc. Luckily they took my word for their value or I'd have been even worse off...

Good luck on your trip, hopefully you'll slip through.

By chance did you know of or inform them of the 2 camera exemption?

The link that Karen posted above referencing the $500 limit states:

"Now you may currently bring with you goods up to a value of 500 dollars without paying taxes, additional to your personal luggage. This will only apply during holiday season, the rest of the year the duty exemption is 300 dollars."

"Personal luggage" means that scuba gear, your clothes and other "personal effects" are not subject to the $500 limit. In fact, your camera gear should also be considered "personal luggage" unless you're a working professional.

I respectfully disagree with Karen that this "tax" being collected is the "law of Mexico". It is not... It's an abuse/mischaracterization of a law which is explicitly intended to apply to professionals.

CZS,
Please read at the entire thread AND the supporting documents from the Mexican Government, Liveaboard.com, The Valentina dive ship, AND my receipt from Customs who charged me to bring in my plastic Olympus underwater Housing this month. I told them I was an amateur photographer on vacation and the Customs agents did not care about that. If you get stopped at customs you may be required to pay regardless.
Ask all the divers from Japan, Netherlands, USA, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, and Romania that visited Baja in early November. Each of the amateur UW photographers were charged over $600 per person on their expensive underwater housings that they brought on vacation to use while on vacation.
Respectfully, you were not there, and you were not privy to the many email responses from Liveaboard.com, and the The Valentina who replied that this is how the law is being applied currently and that there is nothing they can do about it. Your personal interpretation of Mexican Law means nothing when you are standing before a Mexican customs agent who is looking up your photo gear on the internet to assess it's value. You have two choices:
Pay the customs agents what they demand from you, or go back home. BTW, they take credit cards and will give you a receipt. :)

The Mexicans need to make back all the money they put out to pay for Trump's wall. Payback's a bitch. :rofl3:

We were planning on booking a Socorro LB this winter, for next. That's not happening now.

Stoo,
It has nothing to do with the USA or the Clown in Chief. I met people from Japan, Netherlands, USA, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, and Romania on this trip who all got dinged. Some divers slipped through the cracks, but I will not risk it now. I spent way too much money on new photo gear just to be taxed at the border for the privilege to use it. I brought my Olympus old gear, so they only charged me about $44, but what if I had brought in a shiny new $4,000 Nikon housing for my new fancy camera? I'm boycotting Baja until the extortion is called out and people can dive & photograph without paying extra fines.

Back
Top Bottom