Getting to Sabang in April 2020 from Manila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are going back to Sabang after a few years of diving elsewhere, and it appears things have changed, to put it mildly. Travel in the Phillippines is always an adventure, but it seems the private boats to cross the Batangas channel are no more? My dive operator (Rick at Frontier Diving) says that now we are forced to use the ferries to PG, and then get up to Sabang from there. Then we use porters to haul the luggage over to Angelyn"s, and he will arrange all this. Sounds like lots of opportunity for a real snafu, at least that's what it looks like. And we are doing this just a couple of days before Easter, to add to the fun. I thought I would see what you guys can tell me about this mess, given that we are talking about over 4 months from now, and that things could radically change in that amount of time. Any advice, or should I just sit back and let Rick handle things?:coffee: Any help is greatly appreciated. Woody

The ferry part is not difficult. it's not chaotic as I had feared from reading online, as compared to the "old days" with the bangka trips.

The buses from / to Manila were OK for us, had under-the=bus bag storage so you didn't have to hold dive gear on lap, were air conditioned, , and less than $4 one way. You could also get Grab from Manila or arrange a van for under $30. If you have an option to get picked up at Muelle Pier and transfer by boat to your resort, I'd do that, regardless of how you GOT to the ferry...it was about $18 USD through resort we were at last week, which was roundtrip, I believe, and took about 15 minutes by boat. We carried our bags from ferry to the boat (50-75 feet?), and the boat guy put them onboard, carried our bags to room on arrival. Pretty damn easy.

But, like Damselfish says, if you have someone willing to plan it out and execute fairly cheaply...why not?

Johncn

[QUOTE="Johncn, If you have an option to get picked up at Muelle Pier and transfer by boat to your resort, I'd do that, regardless of how you GOT to the ferry...it was about $18 USD through resort we were at last week, which was roundtrip, I believe, and took about 15 minutes by boat.
Johncn[/QUOTE]
This is what I have read about and what I would like to look more into. I will ask my dive operator about it, but does anyone know more about this? Many thanks for your help. Woody

I just got back from Scandi Divers Sabang Beach where they booked a private high speed boat for us. I believe it was the Hop n Go charter that is owned by the mayor of Sabang. They own 2 fiberglass boats.
Here is our quote:
PRIVATE VAN + PRIVATE SPEEDBOAT (water taxi) - One way private service runs from 0500am to 0530pm but much better in the morning while sea is calm and smooth.
This option will run depends on the sea and weather condition. From Manila airport down to Scandi Divers will be US$ 250.00
One-way private van (Manila to Batangas) = US$80.00
Private water taxi = US$170.00
This option was great because you didn't have to deal with the ferry and they directly delivered us to the resort.

Let Rick do it is my advice. It really isn't the hassle that it might appear. Think of it as an adventure :wink:

Getting to Angelyn's, which is right next door to Frontier, is not a big deal. Yes it's kind of a pain not being able to go direct to Sabang and I've complained as much as anyone because of the changes. That's just because things were easier before! Having said that it is still a LOT easier than some of the other destinations I can think of in the Philippines :)

You can splurge a little and take a private van from the airport if you want. That should be around 3500 pesos give or take. The times I've taken a private van (which I've only done if traveling with someone to split it with) I would normally give the driver a tip, so your total there might be 4000 pesos for that part (around $80 bucks). Ferry ticket to Muelle, and likely a trike to bring you from Muelle to Sabang (cheapest) and then give whoever carries your bag to the resort (5 minute walk maybe) a 100 pesos. Not a big deal :)

I'll be diving with Frontier next month myself and I'll be taking public transport myself to get there. I'd rather save my money for more diving :wink:

Woody,
Arriving at Manila just couple of days before Easter! I hope there is no delay to get your checked bag.
My suggestion:
1. Get Rick to arrange everything.
2. Depend on your arrival time, DIY is pretty straight forward especially the ferry issue has been resolved.

Let Rick do it is my advice. It really isn't the hassle that it might appear. Think of it as an adventure :wink:

Getting to Angelyn's, which is right next door to Frontier, is not a big deal. Yes it's kind of a pain not being able to go direct to Sabang and I've complained as much as anyone because of the changes. That's just because things were easier before! Having said that it is still a LOT easier than some of the other destinations I can think of in the Philippines :)

You can splurge a little and take a private van from the airport if you want. That should be around 3500 pesos give or take. The times I've taken a private van (which I've only done if traveling with someone to split it with) I would normally give the driver a tip, so your total there might be 4000 pesos for that part (around $80 bucks). Ferry ticket to Muelle, and likely a trike to bring you from Muelle to Sabang (cheapest) and then give whoever carries your bag to the resort (5 minute walk maybe) a 100 pesos. Not a big deal :)

I'll be diving with Frontier next month myself and I'll be taking public transport myself to get there. I'd rather save my money for more diving :wink:
Hi Bill,
Looking forward to your report on the transfer especially from NAIA to PG.
Cheers.

Woody,
Arriving at Manila just couple of days before Easter! I hope there is no delay to get your checked bag.
My suggestion:
1. Get Rick to arrange everything.
2. Depend on your arrival time, DIY is pretty straight forward especially the ferry issue has been resolved.

Hi Bill,
Looking forward to your report on the transfer especially from NAIA to PG.
Cheers.

Easter will very likely be as bad as Christmas.... crowded! :) I'm thinking there might be a lull on Christmas Day itself so I may travel to Batangas and then try to catch the first ferry in the morning on the 26th. That would get me there early enough to maybe get a couple dives in on the 26th :)

Hi Centrals,
I'll try to remember to post something after I get to PG about the current difficulties (or lack thereof) of getting to Sabang. The big thing for me was the ferry, so as long as that's straightened out then everything else is pretty straightforward and really only a minor inconvenience. The trike ride to Sabang can be quite "invigorating" sometimes :wink:

Later!

Christmas Day should be very quiet everywhere. The only issue is the schedule of the bus because there is a lot less demand for it.
I remember once travelled to NAIA on Good Friday(Black Fri) and there were hardly any traffic in Manila.

You can splurge a little and take a private van from the airport if you want. That should be around 3500 pesos give or take. The times I've taken a private van (which I've only done if traveling with someone to split it with) I would normally give the driver a tip, so your total there might be 4000 pesos for that part (around $80 bucks). Ferry ticket to Muelle, and likely a trike to bring you from Muelle to Sabang (cheapest) and then give whoever carries your bag to the resort (5 minute walk maybe) a 100 pesos. Not a big deal

Hey Bill, I agree with you. Plus, I really like to interact with the Filipinas!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom