TG 4 housing owners:. I need your brains

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilEyeDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yes, I know that I need to step up ring and I have that. I have had other camera housings but got the original Olympus TG4 housing and cannot figure out how to MacGyver it to get lenses on, like wide-angle, if there's a strobe plugged in. The strobe Port projects out so far it seems like you need 10 spacer rings in order to get any lenses threaded on. Maybe not 10, but 4-5.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20191107_062015898.jpg
    IMG_20191107_062015898.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20191107_061947830.jpg
    IMG_20191107_061947830.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 134
I think that might be an unfortunate incompatibility between lens and housing. I have the TG-4 and PT-056 but use the PTWC-01 with step up ring. The 'neck' on the lens appears longer than yours, which provides the clearance for the strobe connections. This is the only picture I have on-hand, but I think you can see the difference.

TG-4 PT-058 PTWC01.jpg

Yes, I can see the difference. Your lens has a much longer neck. Hum.
This is one of those things that I had not anticipated and have a lot of lenses that works fine on all other housings except this one because of that strobe port. Thanks for your thoughts.

I have the same problem with my Ikelite wide angle wet lens and my TG-6 housing. I noted a few months ago that Backscatter sells similar wet lenses, and their 'kit' includes a replacement for the white opaque flash 'guard' on the housing. It replaces the white piece and the optical adapter plate and provides a single black plate with holes for sync cords. Apparently it allows you to fit a close-fitting wet lens to the housing (as shown in one of their videos).

I don't know if they sell that plate as a separate item. You might call them and ask.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I gather more people have a similar issue with the housing. Thanks. I'll take a look and see what they have. Thanks

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but given the title includes the phrase "I need your brains", I can't wait until this becomes a "zombie thread". :rofl3:

LOL. I was going for a catching title and should it morph in to a zombie thread I'll take advice for that as well. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom