Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you dive around both island dive sites from one of them?

They are 15 miles apart. I think the only ways to get from one to the other is to fly, ferry (long trip as it goes to mainland before going to Culebra/Vieques), or swim! If diving is a main focus

I have only been to PR in January and the southeast side of the island was not being dived - rougher waters. We were able to go out of Fajardo toward smaller islands and the water was calm. I would check the places you're interested in going and see if you can get an idea of water conditions, if they make a difference to you.

Top side activities seem limited on the outer islands except for hiking, sightseeing, and other water activities. If you haven't been to PR before, there is quite a bit to do other than just San Juan.

I really don't know how to plan vacations well.

We travel with friends. They are generally "wait and figure it out when we get there" and I am a planner. We are leaving on a cruise from San Juan in late January and, it being the first time diving while on a a cruise ship, I have looked up every port (where the cruise ship actually docks), the main attractions/things to see, distances and travel time, dive ops that are close to the cruise ship piers or that pick up, taxi tour rates - and compared this to what tours the cruise ship offers and charges. Just came back from Hawaii and I planned everything that we wanted to do taking into consideration dive days with sightseeing and traveling across the island at higher elevations. Yep, I'm retired with time on my hands!!

Have a great time!!

Hello if you need information regarding the island from someone born and raised there I am that person.

Taino divers specialized in Dive trips to Desecheo Island. You dive in the vicinity but you can't step into the island itself.
Desecheo was used as a bombing range by B-52's when Ramey Air Force Base was active in the 70's ( now is close) Also is a bird sanctuary protect by US Fish and Wilfldlife...

In my opinion, the best diving is on the Southwest of the Island. There are plenty of Scuba diving ops. See my old posts for info. I am been away from this forum but I am retiring from the military so I will have more time to contribute, specifically about Puerto Rico.

Regarding Mona Island. (Refer as the Galapagos of the Caribbean) You can visit and Camp in the Island w a Permit from The Puerto Rico Dept of Natural resources. It takes a while. I know operations that do Trips to Mona and camp there, and dive. All dives are Boat dives. You need to pack everything as there is nothing in the island. Meaning no Electricity or portable water available...

Let me know if you need more information, I will be happy to find out for you.

There is plenty to do shore side any where in Puerto Rico if you know what's going on. In the Playa Santa area, Guanica PR...La Parguera, small fishing village less than 15 min away is plenty of activity w Restaurants, arts and crafts, local music and shows, specifically Parador Villa Parguera has shows almost every weekend. Mayaguez is a major city w the biggest mall on the West side of the island...
Every weekend there is a festival going somewhere in Puerto Rico. I can go on and on...PM me for specifics...
I am Divemaster, my wife is PADI Advanced, so not sure what "permits" you are asking about. I want to say that some of the divers on our Desecheo trip were Open Water only.

Haven't been to Mona, my understanding is that it is a liveaboard destination.

If you ask my diving preference, on that criteria only, I'd dive the Playa Santo sector of the wall. The colonies of Black Corrals is simply amazing, and the reefs are very alive and vibrant.

The downside of that destination is that there's not a lot else to do shore side when you are not diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom