What is the latest news about the Calypso (Cousteau's boat)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as I said before I know 3 employees that were there as it was built I even saw it as I lived 15 mins away ...lets just agree to disagree....I don't want to fight pete

The book written by eldest son Jean-Michel is probably the closest we can get, but he was estranged from his father for many years until his brother Philippe, Cousteau's natural successor, died in a seaplane crash, a restored Catalina flying boat.

I was with Jean-Michel on Catalina the day Philippe died in Portugal. We were wrapping up Cousteau Project Ocean Search Catalina. It was definitely a sad day.

A lot of delay with the “Calypso” restoration is partly bad luck and the behind the scenes struggles in the ownership and control and direction of Cousteau's legacy. Multiple families did not help! Really they should have got straight onto it at the time of the ramming rather than letting years roll by with the vessel languishing in a repair dockyard as people gradually forgot Cousteau, or revisionists sought to tear him down by applying current "standards" to what prevailed back then. These attempts have been swept aside and now there are many positive books on Cousteau, including some for young readers as well, which is a welcome change. As George Sanders said in at least two of his movies “the weak always band together to pull down the strong". I guess if you cannot build a reputation then you try to do so by standing on someone else's. Bad form in my view.

as people gradually forgot Cousteau....

Just yesterday I was speaking via FB to a diver who had "heard something about Cousteau." I don't know how prevalent that is, but I sense that younger generations have no idea what an impact JYC had on scuba diving with his inventions and films/programs.

Yes, something needs to be done. After reading this I was talking to some 20 year old's today and said “do you know who Cousteau is”. They looked puzzled and replied that they had never heard of him. Of course Cousteau died in 1997, so with not much on TV since then those in their early twenties have never encountered any mention of him.

Of course Cousteau died in 1997, so with not much on TV since then those in their early twenties have never encountered any mention of him.

That’s because Francine has sat on a lot of unreleased footage.

Bought this for a youngster.
9780448482347.jpg

Who Was Jacques Cousteau? by Nico Medina, Who HQ: 9780448482347 | PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books

I got into diving back in the 70s because of JYC and I had to buy all US Divers equipment because he was Chairman of the Board of the Company after all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom