Question about these Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cj3141

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello divers. I was surfing the web for used tanks I stumbled across these. They are selling for 90 a piece with current hydro and vis as of march 2019. They are LP 72s, but the valves are throwing me off. I believe they are a version of J valve but would like a confirmation on this. I also would like to know if $90 a piece is a good deal for these LP 72 and what specific details I should check or ask about if I would further pursue. Thanks for any help.
00r0r_3fiIHkxQWXm_600x450.jpg

Those are j valves, they look in pretty good condition. If the tanks have recent hydro, $90 is not a insane number. Personally, I think it is a little high unless you are interested in vintage gear. The one the left has a 1971+ stamp on it.

It really comes down to what you want from the tank. If you are planning on using them for deep dives, you may want to save you money for a larger set. If you want to putter around the shallows, these are great tanks.

normal price around here for a 72 is $20-25 and that's for an unlined one.

an epoxy lined one would be $15 - the liner can hide rust

I love old school 72s, but I also have a 13 y.o. that limits us to shallower sites. Depending on where you get them filled (and your comfort with "cave fills") they can be equivalent to an al80 with far better buoyancy characteristics. With 4.5 years left on hydro, 90 is about the limit I would pay. Take the boot off to check for rust, if possible pull the valve to check if it's a lined tank ( no bueno to some) and general condition inside . I have one lined tank, and the liner is perfect... But it's another thing I have to watch. If you don't want the j valves, dive gear express sells new thermo take offs for 25 each.
My advice is always worth what you paid for it!
Respectfully
James

I have several lp72's. I like them, but my shop doesn't do the whole "cave fill" thing. I sometimes have to point out the "+" rating to get a full fill. If the shop only goes to 2250 psi, the tank only holds 65 cuft. AT 2475 you get close to the 72 cuft.

What does this mean to my wife and I. They are the perfect cheap tank to use when we go for a quick dive at a local lake while we pay for a babysitter to watch our children. .

The price of anything depends on what you are willing to pay. My price point for buying things i don't really need is $100, so if I didn't have too many tanks already, I'd probably pick them up. I couldn't get a larger used steel tank, out of hydro and viz, for more than the price of those two combined, around here anyway. As for their size, at least you can dive your own tanks until you can find a good deal on a larger LP or HP steel.

How many AL80 rentals will you avoid, or extra dives you will make, whilst looking for a good deal on a larger tank?

I get along good with my local shop, so the owner will fill to 2475# for me even though they don't have a plus, since he knows the tanks. The biggest worry I have is some tank monkey thinking its a HP 100, I already caught one.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom