Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
A conversation with a local shop owner recently recommended occasionally applying liquid paraffin to the inside teeth of the drysuit zipper along with the material the teeth are attached to.

liquid paraffin is available at local pharmacies here in Belgium as it is ingested orally to be used as a laxative.

I purchased a small bottle of this and it is basically pure paraffin oil from what the pharmacist said..

Has anyone used something like this on their drysuit zipper/zipper material? If so, what is the best way to apply it?

-Z

I have a bottle of the stuff with a brush on it. After a while, I stopped using the brush and just squeezed out a small bit and spread it with my fingers on both sides of the zipper on the inside and the outside (where the closing mechanism runs along).

Reactions: Zef
I have a bottle of the stuff with a brush on it. After a while, I stopped using the brush and just squeezed out a small bit and spread it with my fingers on both sides of the zipper on the inside and the outside (where the closing mechanism runs along).

Thanks.

How often do you apply it? Do you "work it in" or just smear it? The stuff I have is more or less as viscous as water.

-Z

bees wax on the zipper teeth is the best product to use , on the inside sealing surfaces I use either zip tech or seal saver , ive had zippers last decades doing this

Thanks.

How often do you apply it? Do you "work it in" or just smear it? The stuff I have is more or less as viscous as water.

-Z
The stuff I have is slightly more viscous than water, and yes, I "work it in". As far as performance, all I know is that the zipper is as easy to pull as when new. I have about 100 dives in the suit (White's Fusion). I would absolutely trust @abnfrog 's recommendations if you can get those products where you are.

Oh, and I add it when the seals start to look dull (maybe after 3 dives).

Reactions: Zef
plastic or metal zip?

My plastic zip the instructions were to lube the closing dock and the residue will lube the rest as you use it.

Plastic zips -silicon lube. Metal zips - paraffin or wax. From engineering point of view. K

Some disambiguation of the term "paraffin" here: Paraffin - Wikipedia

In American usage, "paraffin" usually refers to wax, like candles are made of. I have also seen it used to refer to what we call kerosene and figured that was British usage. The medicinal paraffin is a new one to me. Who knew I could learn chemistry from SB!

Great sealant for your wooden cutting board too. Speaking of waxy paraffin, has anyone tried T-9 Boeshield? I'm always frustrated at the impression that beeswax goes everywhere but least of all into the working areas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom