Where would you live?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get eaten by mozzies and am allergic to them

I love SE Asia but the mozzies are a nightmare!
If you haven't already found an effective treatment, so far I've found Anthisan cream to be the most effective at stopping the itching.
DEET is evil so I use an anti-mozzie spray made from natural ingredients called Incognito. It works well, as long as it covers all the exposed areas. And we can use it on our young kids.

There's no way that I would put Jakarta on the list. My father lived there for a number of decades, so I have some experience in that regard. If my choice was Jakarta or Singapore only, I'd pick Singapore in 600 sq ft over Jakarta in 1600 sq ft or even 6000 sq ft.
Jakarta...a capital city that is such a mess they want to start over on a different island.

I love SE Asia but the mozzies are a nightmare!
If you haven't already found an effective treatment, so far I've found Anthisan cream to be the most effective at stopping the itching.
DEET is evil so I use an anti-mozzie spray made from natural ingredients called Incognito. It works well, as long as it covers all the exposed areas. And we can use it on our young kids.

I love Anthisan! It's the best anti-itch cream that I have found. It is not easy to get in the US but I can order it online.

I hate DEET and I will only use it when I am in an area with bad diseases like malaria and dengue, but I can't let it get near my face and eyes because I react severely to it.

I have never tried Incognito, where do you get it? I have had good luck with these BugBand anti-mosquito wipes, link below. They don't smell terrible and they are child safe and it is easy to always have a couple of them in my bag or pocket:

https://www.amazon.com/Bug-Band-88512-Insect-Repellent/dp/B0084KUTJU?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

Googled and found this:
These are the most expensive cities in the world in 2019
If you have expenses covered, it may not be too bad.

SEA - KL / Singapore would be a good choice. They are situated in the heart of south east asia and many airlines (both full board and low cost) catering the region. I known people who lives in Singapore, traveled frequently to Indonesia for dives (e.g. Bali, Pulau Weh, Banda, Misool, Komodo, Lombok, etc). Its still a long travel time due to limited direct transport but compared to travelling all the way from NA / Europe, its way closer & cheaper.

Really not sure, how they came up with this list? Copenhagen in top 10, but not Oslo or Abu Dhabi/Dubai?!

We used to live in Oslo and prices for rent/food and most other things were much more than in Copenhagen. Currently live in Abu Dhabi and rent/food is almost twice as expensive as Copenhagen.

Back
Top Bottom