Astigmatism Prescription Dive Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seavision have limits to what they can do optically. And you have to use their masks

I actually have two Tusa masks with Seavision lenses. They don't really advertise that, but as long as the mask is a dual lens model with removable lenses and sufficiently small lens opening, they can do it.
Everything has limits what can be done optically but Seavisions system covers a reasonably wide spectrum.
If you need prismatic correction for example, glass lenses glued to mask seems to be the only option.

I actually have two Tusa masks with Seavision lenses. They don't really advertise that, but as long as the mask is a dual lens model with removable lenses and sufficiently small lens opening, they can do it.
Everything has limits what can be done optically but Seavisions system covers a reasonably wide spectrum.
If you need prismatic correction for example, glass lenses glued to mask seems to be the only option.

Disagree. Prescription Dive Masks can do any Rx. John at Seavision is quite limited in range. For example readers cannot exceed 2.0. I’ve never heard of them doing any other mask other than the three they offer. Was that a recent transaction?

I’ve never heard of them doing any other mask other than the three they offer. Was that a recent transaction?

January 2018

I think the TUSA blank is so common and popular that many prescription labs stock those blanks, along with a select few others for diopter style masks. But certainly not all of them.

I have 3 different masks, one being a full face mask, so I wear contact lenses. Works very well for me. They even make the toric lenses in bi-focal now.

I do the same. I also have astigmatism, and my glasses are really not that strong (-1.50 & -1.75). I can read my computer fine without correction, but of course I want to see all the nice fish and nudis from as far away as possible, so I just wear contacts.

I buy a box of daily disposable toric lenses and use them only for diving or formal events where I prefer not to wear my glasses. One box will last me a good 5 months of more. I've never had any issues with contact lenses underwater, even with mask flooding or mask removal.

If you do have a mask removal or other situation where your eyes had to be open and fully exposed to seawater, it is recommended that you remove the lenses when you're finished diving for sanitary reasons (possible bacteria or microorganisms).... but it's no biggie.

If you do have a mask removal or other situation where your eyes had to be open and fully exposed to seawater, it is recommended that you remove the lenses when you're finished diving for sanitary reasons (possible bacteria or microorganisms).... but it's no biggie.
That’s it for me, no contacts in seawater!!!

That’s it for me, no contacts in seawater!!!
How often do you have seawater in your eyes while you are diving? I am nearsighted, have astigmatism, and wear toric lenses in both eyes. I have only done 850ish dives wearing soft contact lenses, but I've never had a problem.

How often do you have seawater in your eyes while you are diving? I am nearsighted, have astigmatism, and wear toric lenses in both eyes. I have only done 850ish dives wearing soft contact lenses, but I've never had a problem.

Only if you get your mask knocked off or seriously flood it.

As far as removing the contacts after opening your eyes underwater, that applies equally to in fresh water. It doesn't have to be immediately afterwards, just wouldn't recommend wearing them for another 8 hours.... It's really no big deal.

Only if you get your mask knocked off or seriously flood it.

As far as removing the contacts after opening your eyes underwater, that applies equally to in fresh water. It doesn't have to be immediately afterwards, just wouldn't recommend wearing them for another 8 hours.... It's really no big deal.
That was my point. I generally wear my contacts only during dives, but I haven't had any problems.

Back
Top Bottom