Repurposing old poppet upgrade from a G250

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perryed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently won an auction that includes a Scubapro 109. I already have one but this came with a MK5,so why not. I had gotten a Duro poppet upgrade for that 109 so I could replace the LP seat as needed. Wasn`t really looking forward to spending $25 plus shipping for another upgrade. I got to looking at an old poppet from a G250 I had upgraded. This is in the first pic PICT0001.JPG PICT0002.JPG PICT0003.JPG PICT0004.JPG PICT0005.JPG PICT0006.JPGIn the second pic I unscrewed the metal stem and removed the old poppet LP seat.
To get the spring to the right tension and to keep it centered I notched the old poppet to match the Duro seen in #3. The wings are slightly different but work OK.
In #4 you can see the seating areas compared. They are not identical, but will be sealed by the LP puck type seat.
#5 shows the seats in place and the last shows the homemade upgrade with the original.
I`ve installed and tested this and it breathes just as good as the Duro. A nice repurposing of a spare part. I don`t know if this has been done before, but it was new to me.

Nicely done! Now it makes me wonder how many "could've been a duro" poppets have been thrown away.

Thanks. And if you didn`t want to go the Duro route I think you could just pull ou the rivet and seat and have a replaceable puck LP. Granted it wouldn`t look as slick as the "S" wing upgrade and wouldn`t have the double o-ring, but at least the LP seat would be replaceable. And one step further you could drill out the end to take the top hat style LP seat with the flow thru aspect.

I took my old Blue Poppet with the SS stem and single O-ring and stuck a punched-out piece of inner tube on it just to make sure the thing was gonna work properly before I spent any money on it. I now understand why so many people like ScubaPro and the G200B and G250. So far I have not found an adhesive that sticks well enough to satisfy me but my new poppet arrives tomorrow so I'll be servicing the first stage on Friday. I got the G200B and MK15 more or less for free along with a computer and console that I feel I got a very good deal on :D

I took my old Blue Poppet with the SS stem and single O-ring and stuck a punched-out piece of inner tube on it just to make sure the thing was gonna work properly before I spent any money on it. I now understand why so many people like ScubaPro and the G200B and G250. So far I have not found an adhesive that sticks well enough to satisfy me but my new poppet arrives tomorrow so I'll be servicing the first stage on Friday. I got the G200B and MK15 more or less for free along with a computer and console that I feel I got a very good deal on :D
108s and 109s are chrome.... Just saying!

Back
Top Bottom