Good compressor for infrequent use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a MCH6 and fill no more than 10 cylinders a month, some months none.

I’ve just spent 2 hours pumping 6 to 300bar, it would have been the best part of 2 hours if I’d taken them to the nearest dive shop.

It works out at around £12 a fill from the dive shop and £7 with the compressor (petrol).

On top of that I'm not tempted to buy shiny things I dodn't really need.

I looked at the Rix SA6 and it looks like they were discontinued in 2017 and the ones that are out there don't seem to become available much.

At this point its that new coltri or similar and pay up front, or get a used small compressor (not exactly easy to find either) and potentially pay later.

I am seriously considering just putting it on my visa magic plastic ticket of acquisition and dealing with the epic amount of interest I would probably accrue in the year and a half it would probably take me to pay off. But it would really have to be a perfect option now or never buying deal and I'm not sure that's where its at for me just yet.
I've never seen anything from a country I would trust to manufacture a breathing air compressor within 1000 of that price.

EDIT: Can all those options on the coultri be added on later? It would be nice to have auto shutoff and an hour meter and the carbon monoxide eye, but thats an extra $400 in stuff.

How does a MCH6 tolerate pumping helium? Either 100% or cfm up to 15/55.

I send mine to the UK imported once year for a full service and air quality check. I keep a log to record both the hours run and cylinders filled - therefore no need of a hour meter,

It's portable enough that I can take it to dive sites to fill cylinders between dives, great when only two of us are diving.

I would agree that at $2700 a new unit would be your best investment because even in a few years time you could probably get at least $2000 for it. A decent quality compressor doesn't depreciate that quickly as you may have already found out while looking for used.

I was in the same situation so this summer bought an MCH6. Now I fill whenever I want/need rather than figuring out a time for the hour drive over to the LDS. Totally worth it.

I fill 8 tanks with various blends and to various pressures every week. I would hate to try to do this with a dive shop. Nitrox is so cheap I never dive air. I bought a complete used trimix station built around a Rix SA6. So far I am very pleased.

Bloody dive shops... see post number 16 by Dubious. I got a PM when I asked which shop and they said it was Wazee Sports and this was the last season and had clearance sale since sept I think it was. Dunno whats left at this point and I haven't talked to the shop personally.
Wazee Sports is closing for sure. At one point, the Marineland in down the road from Wazee sports had trimix, and I think they must pump there. I'm not sure I've been in that store. I live in LaCrosse, and have a compressor...

Keith told me its closing about a 6 weeks ago.I'm in Mpls there are a lot of compressors out there for sale on craigs list.Drop me a line sometime Seahuntjerry@yahoo.com I own 2 compressors at the present!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom